Given a number n, find a number in range from 1 to n such that its sum is maximum. If there are several such integers, determine the biggest of them.
Input: n = 100 Output: 99 99 is the largest number in range from 1 to 100 with maximum sum of digits. Input: n = 48 Output: 48 Explanation: There are two numbers with maximum digit sum. The numbers are 48 and 39 Since 48 > 39, it is our answer.
A naive approach is to iterate for all numbers from 1 to n and find out which number has maximum sum of digits. Time complexity of this solution is O(n).
An efficient approach is to iterate from n to 1. Do the following for each digit of current number, if the digit is not zero, reduce it by one and change all other digits to nine to the right of it. If the sum of digits in the resulting integer is strictly greater than the sum of the digits of the current answer, then update the answer with the resulting integer. If the sum of the resulting integer is same as the current answer, then if the resulting integer is more then current answer, update the current answer with the resulting integer.
How to reduce a digit and change all other digits on its right to 9?
Let x be our current number. We can find next number for current digit using below formula. In below formula, b is a power of 10 to represent position of current digit. After every iteration we reduce x to x/10 and change b to b * 10.
We use (x – 1) * b + (b – 1);
This line can further be explained as, if the number is x = 521 and b = 1, then
- (521 – 1) * 1 + (1-1) which gives you 520, which is the thing we need to do, reduce the position number by 1 and replace all other numbers to the right by 9.
- After x /= 10 gives you x as 52 and b*=10 gives you b as 10, which is again executed as (52-1)*(10) + 9 which gives you 519, which is what we have to do, reduce the current index by 1 and increase all other rights by 9.
Time complexity : O(m) where m is the number of digits in n.
This article is contributed by Striver. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Maximum positive integer divisible by C and is in the range [A, B]
- Count of Numbers in Range where first digit is equal to last digit of the number
- Smallest integer with digit sum M and multiple of N
- Count of m digit integers that are divisible by an integer n
- Smallest integer greater than n such that it consists of digit m exactly k times
- Find the occurrences of digit d in the range [0..n]
- Minimum positive integer divisible by C and is not in range [A, B]
- Count numbers with unit digit k in given range
- Count of Numbers in a Range where digit d occurs exactly K times
- Integers from the range that are composed of a single distinct digit
- Minimum integer such that it leaves a remainder 1 on dividing with any element from the range [2, N]
- Find the highest occurring digit in prime numbers in a range
- Breaking an Integer to get Maximum Product
- Maximum value of an integer for which factorial can be calculated on a machine
- Find a pair (n,r) in an integer array such that value of nPr is maximum
Improved By : jit_t