prerequisite : BigDecimal Basics
The java.math.BigDecimal.movePointLeft(int n) method is used to move the decimal point of the current BigDecimal by n places to the left.
- If n is non-negative, the call merely adds n to the scale.
- If n is negative, the call is equivalent to movePointRight(-n).
The BigDecimal value returned by this method has value (this × 10-n) and scale max(this.scale()+n, 0).
public BigDecimal movePointLeft(int n)
Parameter: The method takes one parameter n of integer type which refers to the number of places the decimal point is required to be moved towards the left.
Return Value: The method returns the same BigDecimal value with the decimal point moved n places to the left.
Exception: The method throws an ArithmeticException if the scale overflows.
Input: value = 2300.9856, Leftshift = 3 Output: 2.3009856 Explanation: while shifting the decimal point of 2300.9856 by 3 places to the left, 2.3009856 is obtained Alternate way: 2300.9856*10^(-3)=2.3009856 Input: value = 35001, Leftshift = 2 Output: 350.01
Below program illustrate the movePointLeft() method of BigDecimal:
After applying decimal move left by move Distance 3 on 2300.9856 New Value is 2.3009856
- BigDecimal plus() method in Java
- BigDecimal abs() Method in Java
- BigDecimal max() Method in Java
- BigDecimal min() Method in Java
- BigDecimal ulp() Method in Java
- BigDecimal valueOf() Method in Java
- BigDecimal toBigIntegerExact() Method in Java
- BigDecimal toBigInteger() Method in Java
- BigDecimal pow() method in Java with Examples
- BigDecimal byteValueExact() Method in Java
- BigDecimal doubleValue() Method in Java
- BigDecimal signum() Method in Java
- BigDecimal shortValueExact() Method in Java
- BigDecimal equals() Method in Java
- BigDecimal stripTrailingZeros() Method in Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.