Natural Language Processing (NLP) is a field of study that deals with understanding, interpreting, and manipulating human spoken languages using computers.
Since most of the significant information is written down in natural languages such as English, French, German, etc. thus, NLP helps computers communicate with humans in their own languages and perform other language-related tasks.
In conclusion, NLP makes it possible for computers to read the text, hear speech, interpret and realize it, understand the sentiment, and identify important parts of a text or speech.
What is Syntax?
A natural language typically follows a hierarchical structure, and contains the following components:
Syntax refers to the set of rules, principles, processes that govern the structure of sentences in a natural language. One basic description of syntax is how different words such as Subject, Verbs, Nouns, Noun Phrases, etc. are sequenced in a sentence.
Some of the syntactic categories of a natural language are as follows:
- Noun Phrase(NP)
- Verb Phrase(VP)
- Prepositional Phrase(PP)
A Syntax tree or a parse tree is a tree representation of different syntactic categories of a sentence. It helps us to understand the syntactical structure of a sentence.
The syntax tree for the sentence given below is as follows:
I drive a car to my college.
Code: Syntax Tree in Python
Code: To draw the syntax free for the above sentence
- Introduction to Natural Language Processing
- Natural Language Processing using Polyglot - Introduction
- ML | Natural Language Processing using Deep Learning
- Natural Language Processing: Moving Beyond Zeros and Ones
- Translation and Natural Language Processing using Google Cloud
- Analysis required in Natural Language Generation (NLG) and Understanding (NLU)
- Point Processing in Image Processing using Python-OpenCV
- Python2 vs Python3 | Syntax and performance Comparison
- Processing text using NLP | Basics
- Parallel Processing in Python
- ML | Understanding Data Processing
- Image Processing without OpenCV | Python
- NLP | Parallel list processing with execnet
- Processing time with Pandas DataFrame
- CNN - Image data pre-processing with generators
- Understanding Tensor Processing Units
- How to use Google Colaboratory for Video Processing
- Digital Image Processing Chain
- Audio processing using Pydub and Google speechRecognition API
- Python - Blood Cell Identification using Image Processing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.