GATE | GATE CS 2021 | Set 1 | Question 18
Consider the following two statements.
- S1: Destination MAC address of an ARP reply is a broadcast address.
- S2: Destination MAC address of an ARP request is a broadcast address.
Which one of the following choices is correct?
(A) Both S1 and S2 are true
(B) S1 is true and S2 is false
(C) S1 is false and S2 is true
(D) Both S1 and S2 are false
Explanation: ARP request: This is nothing but broadcasting a packet over the network to validate whether we came across destination MAC address or not.
- The physical address of the sender.
- The IP address of the sender.
- The physical address of the receiver is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF or 1’s.
- The IP address of the receiver
ARP response/reply: It is the MAC address response that the source receives from the destination which aids in further communication of the data.
ARP request is a broadcast message generated by the source to find the destination MAC address if the ARP is not resolved initially.
ARP reply is a unicast message from destination to source device containing the destination MAC address.
Quiz of this Question