File.WriteAllLines(String, String, Encoding) Method in C# with Examples
File.WriteAllLines(String, String, Encoding) is an inbuilt File class method that is used to create a new file, writes the specified string array to the file by using the specified encoding, and then closes the file.
public static void WriteAllLines (string path, string contents, System.Text.Encoding encoding);
Parameter: This function accepts three parameters which are illustrated below:
- path: This is the specified file where specified string array are going to be written.
- contents: This is the specified string array to write to the file.
- encoding: This represents the character encoding applied to the string array.
- ArgumentException: The path is a zero-length string, contains only white space, or one or more invalid characters as defined by InvalidPathChars.
- ArgumentNullException: Either path or contents are null.
- PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both exceed the system-defined maximum length.
- DirectoryNotFoundException: The specified path is invalid.
- IOException: An I/O error occurred while opening the file.
- UnauthorizedAccessException: The path specified a file that is read-only. OR the path specified a file that is hidden. OR this operation is not supported on the current platform. OR the path specified a directory. OR the caller does not have the required permission.
- NotSupportedException: The path is in an invalid format.
- SecurityException: The caller does not have the required permission.
Below are the programs to illustrate the File.WriteAllLines(String, String) method.
Program 1: Initially, no file was created. Below code itself create a file file.txt and write the specified string array into the file.
GFG is a CS portal.
After running the above code, the above output is shown, and a new file file.txt is created shown below-
Program 2: Initially, a file file.txt is created with some contents shown below-
Below code overwrites the file contents with the specified string array.
GFG Geeks GeeksforGeeks
After running the above code, the above output is shown, and the file file.txt contents became like shown below-