An air pressure contour line join the locations in the region having the same atmospheric pressure. The following is the air pressure contour of a geographical region. The contour line are shown as 0.05 bar intervals in this plot.
If the probability of thunderstorm is given by how fast air pressure rises or drops over a region. Which of the following region is most likely to have thunderstorm.
Explanation: Region R has maximum air pressure variation as it which has maximum number of lines crossing the area. Therefore option C is correct
We have to see for the region which has maximum change in air pressure for thunderstorm.
In region P – the air pressure changes only once by 0.05 as only 2 lines are crossing the region. The first line with the air pressure 0.95 and the next one is with pressure 0.9.
In region Q – No line crosses the region which implies that the air pressure doesn’t change.
In region R – the air pressure changes at 4 places resulting in maximum change in air pressure in the whole region. The minimum pressure in R is 0.65 and the maximum is 0.8.
In region S – the air pressure in the region in 0.95 and other contouring line is outside the region thus no change in air pressure within the region.
Thus the probability of thunderstorm is maximum in region R.
This solution is contributed by Parul Sharma.
Quiz of this Question
- GATE | GATE-CS-2017 (Set 2) | Question 11
- GATE | GATE-CS-2017 (Set 2) | Question 12
- GATE | GATE-CS-2017 (Set 2) | Question 13
- GATE | GATE-CS-2017 (Set 2) | Question 18
- GATE | GATE CS 2018 | Question 65
- GATE | GATE CS 2018 | Question 64
- GATE | GATE CS 2018 | Question 63
- GATE | GATE CS 2018 | Question 62
- GATE | GATE CS 2018 | Question 61
- GATE | GATE CS 2018 | Question 60