A Bitwise And operator is represented as ‘&’ and a logical operator is represented as ‘&&’. The following are some basic differences between the two operators.
a) The logical and operator ‘&&’ expects its operands to be boolean expressions (either 1 or 0) and returns a boolean value.
The bitwise and operator ‘&’ work on Integral (short, int, unsigned, char, bool, unsigned char, long) values and return Integral value.
y is greater than 1 AND x z = 3
b) If an integral value is used as an operand for ‘&&’ which is supposed to work on boolean values, the following rule is used in C.
…..Zero is considered as false and non-zero is considered as true.
For example in the following program x and y are considered as 1.
It is compiler error to use the non-integral expression as operand for bitwise &. For example the following program shows compiler error.
error: invalid operands to binary & (have 'float' and 'float')
c) The ‘&&’ operator doesn’t evaluate the second operand if the first operand becomes false. Similarly ‘||’ doesn’t evaluate the second operand when first operand becomes true. The bitwise ‘&’ and ‘|’ operators always evaluate their operands.
0 Geeks in & 0
The same differences are there between logical OR ‘||’ and bitwise OR ‘|’.
This article is contributed by Ujjwal Jain. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Operators in C | Set 2 (Relational and Logical Operators)
- Total pairs in an array such that the bitwise AND, bitwise OR and bitwise XOR of LSB is 1
- Calculate Bitwise OR of two integers from their given Bitwise AND and Bitwise XOR values
- Code Optimization Technique (logical AND and logical OR)
- Order of operands for logical operators
- Operators in C | Set 1 (Arithmetic Operators)
- Case conversion (Lower to Upper and Vice Versa) of a string using BitWise operators in C/C++
- Bitwise right shift operators in Java
- Russian Peasant (Multiply two numbers using bitwise operators)
- Bitwise Operators in C/C++
- Check if a number is multiple of 9 using bitwise operators
- Toggle case of a string using Bitwise Operators
- Check if a number is divisible by 17 using bitwise operators
- Check if a number is divisible by 8 using bitwise operators
- Check if a Number is Odd or Even using Bitwise Operators
- Generate first K multiples of N using Bitwise operators
- Compute maximum of two integers in C/C++ using Bitwise Operators
- Count ways to generate pairs having Bitwise XOR and Bitwise AND equal to X and Y respectively
- Find subsequences with maximum Bitwise AND and Bitwise OR
- Maximize sum of squares of array elements possible by replacing pairs with their Bitwise AND and Bitwise OR
Improved By : jaydeepjhajaydeepjha907