The Zip file extension does not have a full form. It is an archive file format that supports lossless data compression(original data perfectly reconstructed from compressed data). There is a number of data compression algorithms available like DEFLATE, Huffman coding, arithmetic coding, Lempel–Ziv–Markov chain algorithm (LZMA), etc.
A Zip file could be understood as the combination of multiple compressed files and folders, sometimes combined together to form an archive. Phillip Walter Katz is the co-creator of the Zip file format and was initially released on February 14, 1989. The informal meaning of zip is “move at high speed”.
Characteristics of ZIP:
- Zip file format uses the file extentions .zip or .ZIP and the MIME media type application/zip.
- Zip file format can be used with any operating system like Windows, Mac and Linux systems.
- Zip file supports password based authentication called ZipCrypto to avoid unauthenticated people reach.
- There are various .zip tools available like WinZip, WinRAR, 7-zip, etc. to create a zip file, or to unpack the contents of a ZIP file.
Advantages of ZIP:
- By using ZIP file format one can compress the files and folders to a large extent and can save up to 80% or more in hard disk space.
- Transmission of zipped files over the internet is much easier and drastically reduces the email transmission time.
- Zipping supports encryption of data, helpful when sending private data over the internet.
- The minimum size of a ZIP file is 22 bytes. Such an empty zip file contains only an End of Central Directory Record (EOCD)
Disadvantages of ZIP:
- Uncompression of files takes up computer memory and processor time to complete the task, running in the background. You may encounter Out of Memory error.
- Sometimes there may be a possibility that zip file get corrupted and extraction of files and folders cannot happen correctly.
- In some situations including compressing video and audio files, the file you are compressing cannot be made smaller, resulting in a compressed file that is larger in size than the original file.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Create pandas dataframe from lists using zip
- How to Zip a directory in PHP?
- How to Remove the Password from a Zip File?
- TCL Full Form
- LFU Full Form
- VPN Full Form
- DOS Full Form
- SAS Full Form
- OSI Model Full Form in Computer Networking
- HDMi Full Form
- LCD Full Form
- API Full Form
- RTC Full Form
- VLAN Full Form
- WPA Full Form
- DQL Full Form
- VGA Full Form
- SGML Full Form
- DHCP Full Form
- LED Full Form