History for ZIP files : The concept of zip file format was given by Phil Katz, who was the founder of the PKWARE, which replaces the previous concept i.e ARC compression format by Thom Henderson .
What Are Zip Files and why it is used ? Zip file is like a container, which contains one or more files or directories that have been compressed, to reduce their actual size . The format of the Zip is generally known as archive file format that always supports lossless data compression . Zip files mostly use the file extensions “.zip”, or “.ZIP” and the MIME media type application/zip. A number of compression algorithms are permitted in zip files but since 2008 only DEFLATE is used and supported by all the systems.
Where it is used ? Today Zip file format is most popular lossless data compression technique. As explained above, that ZIP file used to contains one or more files that have been compressed, to reduce their actual file size. But the most important question is that, where it is used, ZIP files are used wherever there is a storage problem i.e. where we have less storage available to send or there the files. For example : Suppose we have a folder that contains 15 files and we have to email it to some person. As we know that, here we cannot email whole folder to someone, so we have to email the 15 individual files. Now, this is the platform, where ZIP files comes in use, because we can “ZIP UP” those 15 files into a single zip archive, and then email it .
How extract the files from zip files in windows : The steps to be followed for extracting files from zip files are :
- Useful CMD commands for daily use in Windows OS
- How to rename all files of a folder using Java?
- Encrypt/Decrypt Files in Linux using Ccrypt
- Uninstall Linux completely from a PC with Windows
- IDE for Python programming on Windows
- How to mount windows drives in Ubuntu
- Setup GitLab Repository On Windows 10
- How To Use Bash Shell Natively On Windows 10
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Stuck at "Updating Your System”
- Creating a Dual Boot System with Linux and Windows
- Autorun a Python script on windows startup
- How to create a Folder without any name and icon in Windows OS?
- How to use Emojis in Windows 10?
- How to Fix Minimal BASH Like Line Editing is Supported GRUB Error In Linux?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.