Write a modified strcmp function which ignores cases and returns -1 if s1 < s2, 0 if s1 = s2, else returns 1. For example, your strcmp should consider "GeeksforGeeks" and "geeksforgeeks" as same string.
Source: Microsoft Interview Set 5
Following solution assumes that characters are represented using ASCII representation, i.e., codes for ‘a’, ‘b’, ‘c’, … ‘z’ are 97, 98, 99, … 122 respectively. And codes for ‘A’, “B”, ‘C’, … ‘Z’ are 65, 66, … 95 respectively.
Following are the detailed steps.
1) Iterate through every character of both strings and do following for each character.
…a) If str1[i] is same as str2[i], then continue.
…b) If inverting the 6th least significant bit of str1[i] makes it same as str2[i], then continue. For example, if str1[i] is 65, then inverting the 6th bit will make it 97. And if str1[i] is 97, then inverting the 6th bit will make it 65.
…c) If any of the above two conditions is not true, then break.
2) Compare the last (or first mismatching in case of not same) characters.
ret: 1 ret: -1 ret: -1 ret: -1 ret: 0 ret: 0
This article is compiled by Narendra Kangralkar. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Check if two strings are same ignoring their cases
- Write your own atoi()
- Count of lines required to write the given String
- Write a program to print all permutations of a given string
- Write a program to reverse an array or string
- Write an Efficient Method to Check if a Number is Multiple of 3
- Write an Efficient C Program to Reverse Bits of a Number
- Write a function that returns 2 for input 1 and returns 1 for 2
- Queries to find the last non-repeating character in the sub-string of a given string
- Print an N x M matrix such that each row and column has all the vowels in it
- Multiply a number by 15 without using * and / operators
- Check if a string contains two non overlapping sub-strings "geek" and "keeg"
- Check if a given string is made up of two alternating characters
- Sort an alphanumeric string such that the positions of alphabets and numbers remain unchanged
Improved By : rathbhupendra