WMI Full Form
WMI stands for Windows Management Instrumentation.
Definition : WMI is a set of specifications from Microsoft for consolidating the management of devices and applications in a network from Windows computing systems. WMI was the Microsoft implementation of Web Based Enterprise Management.
Purposes of WMI :
The purpose of WMI is to define a set of specifications independent of the environment, which allow sharing management information between the same management applications.
- WMI can get info about remote machines as easily as current machine.
- WMI uses REAL reboot time for uptime metrics.
- Account settings used by SAM automatically.
- WMI wraps the native API, so as API calls change, unless the WMI changed also you will (might) get the benefits.
- Speed – It is slow to query data and if you are trying to use it during start up it can delay you starting as the WMI service takes a long time to come up.
- WMI is less efficient as compared to SNMP.
- Significantly more firewall ports required in case of WMI.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.