Why Programmers Should Have a Youtube Channel?
Youtube… The most addictive site for all age group. Whether you want to watch movies or you want to make ice-cream or you want to learn something everyone prefers to get everything through online videos sitting at home and definitely free of cost (jokes apart…). On youtube, information is overloaded and being a developer or to start your programming journey you might have definitely taken the help of youtube videos to understand the concepts in a better way and there is a possibility that you might have been inspired from those YouTubers as well.
If you are a passionate developer we suggest you to not only watch the videos of programmers on youtube but also start your own youtube channel and there are multiple benefits to do that. Let’s discuss in detail…
1. Learning and Social Exposure: When you teach something to others it helps you to get knowledge about a specific topic in detail and also clear all your doubts. You do research, you go through the documentation, you watch some other tutorials, you build projects and when you make videos after learning all the things you need to write code again, you need to look at the whole application, again and again, you redo few things and a lot of things are repetitive so eventually it makes your concepts more clear and helps you to remember everything in-depth for a long time.
“If you can’t explain it to a six-year-old, you don’t understand it yourself.”
It also helps in personal development and removes social anxiety. There are a lot of developers who don’t talk much, they do not have social skills and they love to isolate themselves from others. Being on camera, explaining the things to others and talking gives them an opportunity to communicate, to share the opinion which eventually helps them to remove social anxiety and they learn how to deal with other people.
2. Online Presence: No matter in what field you are working, an online presence is very important in this technical era of the 21st century. Everything is running online and for the professional growth online presence matter a lot for everyone whether it’s a LinkedIn account, personal blog, personal website or your own youtube channel. It creates a brand that is really helpful in making connections, getting feedback from others and for professional growth as well.
3. Helps in Promoting Business: Online activity and internet is the best source to promote any kind of business and make a profit from it especially when you are doing it through videos. You can showcase your services and products through your channel. When you showcase your services, your projects or portfolio, you can get potential clients, customers all over the world. It can help you in freelancing or any other business. Your services can reach from one person to two, two people to four, four to eight and so on.
4. Helps in getting a lot of Job: It’s hard to get a job as a developer when you have no computer science degree and you are a self-taught programmer. At that time you really need to do something which can help you to showcase your talent or your interest in programming to the recruiters. So what’s the best solution….definitely youtube. Suppose you want to become a python developer and if you make videos on python, a recruiter visiting on your channel can watch your coding skill and they can also check your knowledge and interest in programming that can help you in landing up a job.
5. Side Income: One of the toughest things is to generate side income through youtube channel. It needs a lot of patience and consistency if you want to generate money through youtube. A lot of YouTubers give up on making youtube videos and continuing it because they find difficulty in getting the subscribers and generating the side income. Initially, you won’t make anything but as we have said that you need to be stick with making videos, making good content and if you put a lot of effort then you can definitely get viewers and subscribers and you can start making money. You can generate money through affiliate marketing, promoting someone else content or product, sponsorship and a lot of options are out there.
We agree that starting a youtube channel and maintaining it is difficult. You make one video, then another video, then another one and you spend your time but you may become sad because you don’t get any subscribers or views on your video. These all are the reasons people quit but you need to accept that you will have to go through this phase when you will start your own youtube channel. Remember that people who have thousands of subscribers also started from nothing but they didn’t quit and that’s the reason they are successful and we would like to share two popular developers who started their journey making youtube videos from nothing but now they have thousands of subscribers and they love to making videos and helping others.
So now if you are telling yourself to start your channel and make videos even if it’s just for 5-10 minutes then do it but a quick tip is here that be genuine, be consistent and do not fake anything in your youtube videos.