The Comparison Operator == (Equality operator) and === (Identity Operator) are used to compare two values. They are also known as the loosely equal (==) operator and the strict identical (===) operator.
|==||Euality||$a == $b||TRUE if $a is equal to $b after type juggling|
|===||Identity||$a === $b||TRUE if $a is equal to $b, and both are of the same type|
PHP Operators: There are lots of operators in PHP but == and === operator performs similar kind of task strictly or casually.
- If operands are of different type then == and === will produce different results.The speed of the operators will be different in this case as == will perform type conversion and then do the comparison.
- If operands are of same type then both == and === will produce same results. The speed of both operators is almost identical in this case as no type conversion is performed by any of the operators.
Equality operator == converts the data type temporarily to see if its value is equal to the other operand, whereas === (the identity operator) doesn’t need to do any type casting and thus less work is done, which makes it faster than ==.
bool(true) bool(true) bool(true) bool(true) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) In first case
bool(true) bool(true) bool(false) bool(false)
Note: The === operator performs a ‘typesafe comparison’, it will only return true only if both operands have the same type and value whereas if only value is to be compared == is used.
- Why are elementwise additions much faster in separate loops than in a combined loop?
- How to handle the modal closing event in Twitter Bootstrap?
- How to append a string in PHP ?
- How to set a single line break in HTML5 ?
- How to break _.each() function in Underscore.js ?
- How to Convert HTML Table into Excel Spreadsheet using jQuery ?
- How to prevent browser to remember password in HTML ?
- How to define a title for a document using HTML5 ?
- How to Display Spinner on the Screen till the data from the API loads using Angular 8 ?
- CSS Animation and @Keyframes Property
- How to create sticky table headers in Chrome ?
- How to convert the hamburger icon of navigation menu to X on click ?
- How to write bold text using HTML ?
- How to format a number as currency using CSS ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.