Single or double quotes in PHP programming are used to define a string. But, there are lots of differences between these two.
Single-quoted Strings: It is the easiest way to define a string. You can use it when you want the string to be exactly as it is written. All the escape sequences like \r or \n, will be output as specified instead of having any special meaning. Single-quote is usually faster in some cases. The special case is that if you to display a literal single-quote, escape it with a backslash (\) and if you want to display a backslash, you can escape it with another backslash (\\).
Below program illustrates the Single-quoted Strings:
I am a geek. It'll be interesting to know about the string. A \ is named as backslash. This is a portal for $string. This is a portal for \n geeks.
Double-quoted strings: By using Double quotes the PHP code is forced to evaluate the whole string. The main difference between double quotes and single quotes is that by using double quotes, you can include variables directly within the string. It interprets the Escape sequences. Each variable will be replaced by its value.
Below program illustrates the Double-quoted Strings:
I am a geek. It'll be interesting to know about the string. This is a simple string. The word is ABC.
- Pairs of complete strings in two sets of strings
- PHP | Strings
- C# | Arrays of Strings
- How to get a substring between two strings in PHP?
- Concatenation of two strings in PHP
- Check if two strings are permutation of each other
- How to trim all strings in an array in PHP ?
- CompileTime Vs RunTime Resolution of Strings
- Sub-strings having exactly k characters that have ASCII value greater than p
- PHP | Change strings in an array to uppercase
- Compact Strings in Java 9 with Examples
- Sorting mixed Strings in Perl
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : MeghaKakkar