GUI and CUI are two types of User Interfaces. GUI stands for Graphical
User Interface while CUI stands for Character User Interface. In this article we will be discussing the differences between these two interfaces and which one has advantages over the other.
User Interface : User Interface comprises of everything the user can use to interact with the computer. It is basically the means by which the user and computer system can interact using input and output devices.
GUI: GUI stands for Graphical User Interface. This is a type of user interface
where user interacts with the computer using graphics. Graphics include icons, navigation bars, images etc. Mouse can be used while using this interface to interact with the graphics. It is a very user-friendly interface and requires no expertise. Eg: Windows has GUI.
CUI: CUI stands for Character User Interface. This is a type of user interface
where user interacts with computer using only keyboard. To perform any action a command is required. CUI is precursor of GUI and was used in most primitive computers. Most modern computers use GUI and not CUI. Eg: MS-DOS has CUI.
Difference between GUI and CUI:
|Interaction||Using graphics(images, icons)||Using commands(only text)|
|Peripherals used||Keyboard and mouse(or any pointing device)||Keyboard only|
|Ease of Operation||Easier||Difficult, requires expertise|
|Flexibility||MORE Flexible||LESS Flexible|
|Customising Appearance||Highly customisable||Appearance cannot be changed|
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference between C and C++
- Difference between “!==” and “==!” in PHP
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- Difference between SQL and NoSQL
- Difference between Where and Group By
- Difference between while(1) and while(0) in C language
- Difference between var and dynamic in C#
- Difference between SSH and Telnet
- Difference between x++ and x=x+1 in Java
- Difference between AES and DES ciphers
- What is the difference between the | and || or operator in php?
- Difference between JSON and XML
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.