echo: echo is not a function rather it is described as a language construct. It accepts an list of argument (multiple arguments can be passed) and returns no value or returns void. It cannot be used as a variable function in PHP. It is used to display the output of parameters that is passed to it. It display the outputs one or more strings separated by commas.
GeeksforGeeks Computer science portal
print: It is not a real function. it is a language construct but always returns the value 1. So it can be used as an expression. Unlike echo, print accepts only one argument at a time. It cannot be used as a variable function in PHP. The print outputs only the strings. It is slow compared to that of echo.
print_r(): print_r() is a regular function. It outputs the detailed information about the parameter in a format with its type (of an array or an object), which can be easily understandable by humans. In this function the output get stored on the internal buffer when the return parameter is passed. If pass the return parameter to TRUE, print_r() would return the complete information rather than just print it. During walk-through this function helps in identifying any of the glitches while executing the program. It is more similar to the var_dump() function.
Array (  => GeeksforGeeks  => Computer  => Science  => Portal )
GeeksforGeeks 10.14 Array (  => Geeks  => for  => Geeks )
- PHP | echo and print
- How to echo HTML in PHP ?
- echo command in Linux with Examples
- p5.js | print() function
- How to print all the values of an array in PHP ?
- Print all Proth primes up to N
- How to add innerHTML to print page?
- Print PHP Call Stack
- What is stacktrace and how to print in node.js ?
- Print matrix in zig-zag fashion from the last column
- PHP Program to print all permutations of a given string
- Program to print Step Pattern
- PHP str_pad to print string patterns
- Program to print the Zigzag pattern
- Python | file parameter in print()
- PHP | Print the last value of an array without affecting the pointer
- Print all prime factors and their powers
- Print the Alphabets A to Z in Star Pattern
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.