What is Java Ring?
Java Ring is a finger ring that is made of stainless steel. It is 0.6 inches in radius. It contains an iButton that contains a processor that has 1 million transistors. It is a data storage device that uses the Java Technology. It can be easily worn on the fingers and be used for authentication of the person wearing it and can even be used to store data and also electronic cash. Although it is named as Java Ring, the module can also be attached to a necklace, wallet or bracelet, and other similar articles. The specifications of the ring include a RAM of 134 KB, a ROM of 32KB, a clock, and a Java Virtual Machine JVM.
In the year 1989, a corporation named Dallas Semiconductor made a storage device that was encased in stainless steel. It used the rules laid out by the Dallas Semiconductor 1-Wire communication protocol. It was enhanced in the year 1990, to a self-contained memory device. It was earlier called touch memory but later renamed to iButtons. They were in the form of batteries. This used the RS232C serial port adapter which was very economical. This memory was able to enable the users with the read and write functions using the Blue Dot receptor. The Lithium energy supply enables it a life of about 10 years. Miscellaneous Read and Write operations can be performed without wearing memory. They were used by Canadian Cows as earrings that store vaccination details. They were later enhanced to provide secure financial transactions, like temperature sensors, as clocks, and even contained microprocessors (powerful microprocessors).
The components of the Java Rings are
Java Ring has 6 components. These are:
There are schools where such rings have been programmed to pay for lunch, opening the automatic doors, marking attendance of the students, storing student’s medical information, etc. All the information is stored on the iButton of the Java Ring. There might be future instances when these rings could start a car. Presently, they work according to the applet instructions. These are activated by pressing the Java Ring against the receptor marked by a blue dot.
Mobile computing has become the norm nowadays. It is not far when digital jewelry is used to enhance our computing experience. The smartwatches are already made and rings as you can see in the case of the Java Rings.
This technology was tested at the Celebration School in Orlando. The students there were given the Java Rings. The rings communicated with the help of applets. The applets connected with the host applications by using networks. The applets are smaller applications that run within another application.
Operating System (OS) Of The Java Ring
The ROM present in the iButton contains a specially designed Operating System for the Java Ring. The OS allows encryption and decryption that allows the security of financial transactions. The firmware used here is not the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). However, it is very similar to JVM and uses the Object-Oriented Approach and also the byte code that is easily understood by E-Commerce Virtual Machine. This firmware has several uses and can be used for several other E-commerce applications.
Security Of The Java Ring
The Security of the Java Ring is of a very high level. It has been verified by the security institutions, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the Canadian security establishment (CSE), that the security of Java Ring meets the highest level of physical security ever validated by the FIPS 140-1 program. This is called the federal information processing publications (FIPS 140-I). This has unparalleled security that is new and encompasses the government and the federal requirements and does so at a very low cost. It also has a private key that is safe for the long term and a very secure message digest.
Applications Of Java Ring
- The Java Ring is used to grant access to the user for handling equipment and entering buildings.
- It can be used to store the usernames and passwords of people.
- It is used for a quick procedure in case of form-filling.
- Digital Signature is also possible by the Java Ring.
- As mentioned above, it is used to carry information about the person and can be used as a photo identity card.
- It can also be used to store biometric information of a person that would give him access to workplaces, schools, and colleges.
- It is also used as a storage device that keeps the information about the credit cards, driver’s license, and as an electronic wallet to store some money as well.
- It can also be used as the passes for metros/buses and other transport.
Advantages Of Java Rings
- It is easy and convenient for users to just put it on their fingers.
- It is more secure than the method of security using passwords.
- It gives authentication to its users.
- It is easy and convenient in terms of maintenance.
- It provides memory for storage.
- It has great capacity and can also be used for dynamic programming.
- It is used for asset management of the various assets of a person such as a wallet, on cars and inventory, etc.
- It is used for access control of computers, buildings, and equipment.
- It stores e-cash for electronic transactions.
Disadvantages Of Java Rings
- The parents and the teachers may have lesser control over the spending of the students.
- There might be a loss of privacy.
- The children can lose there rings very easily.
- There may be a swallowing hazard that should be handled by making it available to elder children (children beyond a certain age).
- The cost of implementation of this technology would be high for industries.
- The component iButton is economical but other equipment is quite expensive.
- It needs high-level maintenance in case of any error which would need skilled workers and result in additional costs.
- The memory is low which might need a user to carry more than 1 ring for adequate information storage.
- The existence of such a technology is unknown to many companies. Better Marketing strategies could be used for awareness.
- There is a risk of theft of the Java Rings.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.