In this article we are going to talk about HTML, its features, why to learn HTML and at last advantages and disadvantages so let’s start;
HTML is the standard document format for web pages which is supported by all browsers. They take HTML content and translate it into what you see on your device’s screen. HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language, where hypertext is the ability to turn a piece of text into a hyperlink (which we can call simply a “link”) that HTML makes it so that viewer can visit any document. And the Markup Language is the computer language that has a lot of easily understood keywords, names or tags, that helps in representing the overall layout of a page and the data it contains or in another word, it defines the structure to specific parts by providing features to the users like a paragraph, link, title, heading, etc for their web pages and documents. HTML is not a programming language. It does not have the ability to create dynamic functions as other programming languages. When working with HTML, we just use a simple code structure that contains tags and attributes to build the structure of a webpage, and it is displayed as such by the browser where Programming languages are having functional purposes. They can take input and produce output, have the ability to call dynamic function to evaluate the expression, etc. Therefore, HTML can not be called a programming language.
HTML was invented by Tim Berners-Lee which was founded in 1990, a physicist at the CERN research institute in Switzerland. He got the idea of an Internet-based hypertext system. It was originally published in 1993. Now The WHATWG (Web Hypertext Application Technology Working)group officially works on Application creation.
Tags: They are the basic structure of an HTML document that surrounds the content and applies meaning to it. Tags are enclosed within angle braces <tag name>. Most of the tags have their corresponding closing tags except few tags. <html> has its closing tag </html> and it used in the starting and ending of a code that encloses the complete HTML document.
Attributes: An attribute is used to define the characteristics of an HTML element that appears inside the opening tag and their values used inside the quotation marks. They can be such as <tag attribute=” value”>margin</tag>
Used Tags in above Example:
- <!DOCTYPE html> The declaration is not an HTML tag. This is an info to the browser about what document type to expect.
- <html> It means element is the root element of an HTML page.
- <head> It contains meta-information about the HTML page.
- <title> The element give the information about the title of HTML page (which is shown in the browser’s title bar or in the page’s tab).
- <body> The element describes the document’s body, and it contains all the visible contents that you see in a webpage, such as headings, paragraphs, images, hyperlinks, tables, lists, etc of the web page.
- <h1> Element defines a large heading.
- <p> Element defines a paragraph.
Components of HTML:
In HTML, there are generally 2 major sections which are head and body. Each section has its own elements and requirements.
Head Section: Head tag represents the web document’s header which can accommodate the <title> and <link> tags inside. It starts with <head> and ends with </head>. It has title components inside.
Title: Every document has at least one title. From the above example, it can be understood that the title section is started with <title> and ends with </title> and in between put the name of the title of a document as “My First Article”. In the above code we, can see that each time one needs to open the angular braces and close the angular braces and in middle put the title name. The angular opening and closing are applied almost for all the tags in the HTML.
Body Section: In the body section, it represents the web document’s body which usually contains headings, text, paragraphs. Headings starts with <heading> and ends with </heading>. In between those tags, we can write any content such as “What is HTML”. Paragraph would start with <p> and ends with </p>. It means that the content of the paragraph should be written within these angular braces.
- As HTML is a markup language, it provides a flexible way to design web pages along with the text.
- You can easily publish online documents with headings, photos, tables etc and you can get it when ever you want.
- HTML documents can be displayed on any platforms such as Windows and Linux etc.
- Multiple windows can be created in a web page to display information from multiple sources in different windows.
- HTML is a case-insensitive language, that means we can use its tags in lower-case as well as in upper-case.
Why to learn HTML?
- HTML is the framework which is used to build websites and if you know how it works, it will be much better off when it comes to design, marketing, and several other professions.
- For those of you who want to become professional Web developers, knowledge of HTML is required because it is a core element in any Development Course.
- HTML is just not for the making websites they are an open/accepted source where data is displayed correctly on all browsers which confirm to the standard and your content can be seen for long time.
- HTML also helps document authors to apply typographical formatting, document structuring, and the inclusion of images without creating any difficulty to the user and without being dependent upon document preparation specialists to provide the markup.
- Every browser supports HTML and it is easy to learn, use and modify.
- It supports a wide range of colors, formats, and layouts which helps in creating alluring web pages.
- Due to the templates, it makes the website design easier.
- FrontPage, Dreamweaver and multiple development tools support HTML.
- HTML is the most search engine friendly.
- HTML can be used to create only plain or static pages. If one wants dynamic functionality pages then HTML is not useful. So, HTML cannot use for dynamic output.
- Sometimes, the structuring of HTML is very difficult to understand.
- To make a simple website multiple lines of code is written.
- Due to multiple lines of code for simpler things, it increases the time complexity and takes more time.
- Its error is costly because one small typing error could lead to non-functioning of webpages.