What is counting number? Definition, Rules, Examples
The way of representing the numbers using digits, symbols are called the number system. It is also called the set of values that are used to represent quantity and things. There are mainly four types of number system that is used for representing are, Decimal Number (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 .. (so on) with base 10 ). Binary Numbers ( set of 0s and 1s with base 2). Octal Numbers (numbers with base 8 i.e., 558 ). Hexadecimal Numbers ( numbers with base 16, represent using A, B, C, D, E, F).
In the number system, the decimal system is used mostly in mathematics and there are terms formed based on the characteristics of the numbers. For instance, the numbers generating from 0 and going up to infinity are whole numbers, the numbers from 1 to infinity are Natural numbers, which are also known as Counting numbers. Lets learn more about the counting numbers,
Counting Numbers are defined as the set of numbers that we used to count anything. All-natural numbers are counting numbers. And these numbers are always positive. Examples are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, … etc.
The basic rules of Counting numbers
- It doesn’t include 0.
- It doesn’t include fractions, e.g: 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc.
- It doesn’t include negative numbers, e.g: -1, -2, -3 etc.
- It doesn’t include decimals, e.g: 0.85, 0.67, 3.97 etc.
Examples of Counting Numbers
The example of counting numbers can be found everywhere, even in the everyday life. From counting the days in the year, to counting the candies distributing in the class, and so on. Let’s look at some of the examples of counting numbers,
- Count for the days left for the Durga Puja’s vacation. (Such as 60 days)
- Count for the number of books do you have. (Such as – 3 Science, 1 Math, 2 English Books).
- Count for the numbers from 1 to 100. (like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, .. 10 and then for 11 to 20 and so on).
- Count for the number of students in your class. (like 30, 40 ).
- Count for the number of players in the Indian Cricket team ( like – 11 payers) and so on.