What is Code Inspection in Software Engineering ?
Prerequisite : Software Testing
The development of any software application/product goes through SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) where each and every phasis are very important and needs to followed accordingly to develop a quality software product. Inspection is such an important element which have a great impact on the software development process.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
Software developer team not only develops the software application rather during the coding phase of software development they check for any error in the code of software which is called code verification. This code verification actually checks the software code in all aspects and find out the errors that exit in the code. Generally, there are two types of code verification techniques available i.e.
- Dynamic technique –
It is performed by executing some test data and the outputs of the program are monitored to find errors in the software code.
- Static technique –
It is performed by executing the program conceptually and without any data. Code reading, static analysis, symbolic execution, and code inspection and reviews etc. are some of the commonly used static techniques.
Code Inspection :
Code inspection is a type of Static testing which aims in reviewing the software code and examining for any error in that. It helps in reducing the ratio of defect multiplication and avoids later stage error detection by simplifying all the initial error detection process. Actually this code inspection comes under review process of any application.
How it works ?
- Moderator, Reader, Recorder, Author are the key members of an Inspection team.
- Related documents are provided to the inspection team and then plans the inspection meeting and coordinate with inspection team members.
- If inspection team is not aware about the project, author provides an overview of project and code to inspection team members.
- Then each inspection team performs code inspection by following some inspection checklists.
- After completion of code inspection, conduct meeting with all team members and analyze about the reviewed code.
Purpose of code inspection :
- It checks for any error that is present in software code.
- It identifies any required process improvement.
- It checks that the coding standard is followed or not.
- It involves peer examination of codes.
- It documents the defects in the software code.
Advantages Of Code Inspection :
- Improves overall product quality.
- Discovers the bugs/defects in software code.
- Marks any process enhancement in any case.
- Finds and removes defective efficiently and quickly.
- Helps to learn from previous defects.
Disadvantages of Code inspection :
- Requires extra time and planning.
- Process is little slower.