What is Array Decay?
The loss of type and dimensions of an array is known as decay of an array.This generally occurs when we pass the array into function by value or pointer. What it does is, it sends first address to the array which is a pointer, hence the size of array is not the original one, but the one occupied by the pointer in the memory.
Actual size of array is: 28 Modified size of array by passing by value: 8 Modified size of array by passing by pointer: 8
In the above code, the actual array has 7 int elements and hence has 28 size. But by calling by value and pointer, array decays into pointer and prints the size of 1 pointer i.e. 8 (4 in 32 bit).
How to prevent Array Decay?
A typical solution to handle decay is to pass size of array also as a parameter and not use sizeof on array parameters (See this for details)
Another way to prevent array decay is to send the array into functions by reference. This prevents conversion of array into a pointer, hence prevents the decay.
Actual size of array is: 28 Modified size of array by passing by reference: 28
In the above code, passing array by reference solves the problem of decay of array. Sizes in both cases is 28.
This article is contributed by Manjeet Singh .If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Difference between pointer to an array and array of pointers
- array::crbegin() and array::crend() in C++ STL
- array::cbegin() and array::cend() in C++ STL
- array::rbegin() and array::rend() in C++ STL
- array::fill() and array::swap() in C++ STL
- array::front() and array::back() in C++ STL
- What’s difference between “array” and “&array” for “int array” ?
- array::begin() and array::end() in C++ STL
- STD::array in C++
- Array sum in C++ STL
- Sum of an array using MPI
- array::at() in C++ STL
- How to pass an array by value in C ?
- array::max_size() in C++ STL
- Pointer vs Array in C