Amazon Kinesis is a service provided by Amazon Web Service which allows users to process a large amount of data (which can be audio, video, application logs, website clickstreams, and IoT telemetry )per second in real-time. In today’s scenario handling of a large amount of data becomes very important and for that, there is a complete whole subject known as Big Data which works upon how to process or handle the streams of large amounts of data. So Amazon comes up with a solution known as Amazon Kinesis which is fully managed and automated and can handle the real-time large streams of data with ease. It allows users to collect, store, capture, and process a large amount of logs from the distributed streams such as social media feeds. It makes users to focus on the development by taking any amount of data from any sources to process it. And after processing all the data, Kinesis also distributes all the data to the consumers simultaneously.
There are three key components on which kinesis works are as follows:
- Kinesis Firehose
- kinesis Analytics
- Kinesis streams
Let’s explore them in detail.
Firehose allows the users to load or transformed their streams of data into amazon web service latter transfer for the other functionalities like analyzing or storing. It does not require continuous management as it is fully automated and scales automatically according to the data.
It allows the streams of data provided by the kinesis firehose and kinesis streams to analyze and process it with the standard SQL. It analyzes the data format and automatically parses the data and by using some standard interactive schema editor to edit it in recommend schema. It also provides pre-built stream process templates that can be used to select a suitable template for their data analytics.
It provides a platform for real-time and continuous processing of data. It is also used to encrypt the sensitive data by using the KMS master keys and the server-side encryption for the security purpose.
The architecture of Amazon Kinesis looks somewhat like the given below image:
Features of Amazon Kinesis
- Cost-efficient: All the services provided by the amazon are cost-efficient as it follows the pay as you go model which means you have to pay for the service according to the usage, not a flat price. So it becomes advantageous for the user s that they have to pay only what they use.
- Integrate with other AWS services: Amazon Kinesis allows users to use the other AWS services and integrate with it. Services that can be integrated are Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon Redshift, and all the other services that deal with the large amount of data.
- Availability: You can access it from anywhere and anytime. Just need a good connectivity of net.
- Real-time processing- It allows you to work upon the data which is needed to be updated every time with changes instantaneously. Most advantageous feature of Kinesis because real-time processing becomes important when you are dealing with such a huge amount of data.
Limits of Amazon Kinesis:
- The limitation that Amazon kinesis has that it only access the stream of records log for 24 hours by default but it can extend but up to only 7 days not longer than that.
- There is no upper limit in the number of streams that can users have in their accounts.
- One shard supports up to 1000 PUT records per second.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Amazon Aurora
- What is E-paper Technology in Amazon’s Kindle?
- Identity and Access Management (IAM) in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- How to Launch a WordPress Website using Amazon EC2 Server ?
- Introduction to Amazon Web Services
- Introduction to Amazon Elastic Container Service (ECS)
- Introduction to Amazon Lightsail
- What is Amazon Machine Image (AMI)?
- What is Amazon Glacier?
- Overview to the Amazon Virtual Private Cloud
- Introduction to Amazon Cloudwatch
- Introduction to Amazon Route53
- Detect and Analyze Faces using Amazon Rekognition
- Launch a WordPress Instance Using Amazon Lightsail
- What is Amazon Alexa?
- What is Amazon GuardDuty?;
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.