A Bitwise And operator is represented as ‘&’ and a logical operator is represented as ‘&&’. Following are some basic differences between the two operators.
a) The logical and operator ‘&&’ expects its operands to be boolean expressions (either 1 or 0) and returns a boolean value.
The bitwise and operator ‘&’ works on Integral (short, int, unsigned, char, bool, unsigned char, long) values and return Integral value.
y is greater than 1 AND y z = 3.
b) If an integral value is used as an operand for ‘&&’ which is supposed to work on boolean values, following rule is used in C.
…..A zero is considered as false and non-zero is considered as true.
For example in the following program x and y are considered as 1.
It is compiler error to use non-integral expression as operand for bitwise &. For example the following program shows compiler error.
error: invalid operands to binary & (have 'float' and 'float')
c) The ‘&&’ operator doesn’t evaluate second operand if first operand becomes false. Similarly ‘||’ doesn’t evaluate second operand when first operand becomes true. The bitwise ‘&’ and ‘|’ operators always evaluate their operands.
0 Geeks in & 0
The same differences are there between logical OR ‘||’ and bitwise OR ‘|’.
This article is contributed by Ujjwal Jain. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Operators in C | Set 2 (Relational and Logical Operators)
- Order of operands for logical operators
- Bitwise Operators in C/C++
- Bitwise right shift operators in Java
- Check if a Number is Odd or Even using Bitwise Operators
- Toggle case of a string using Bitwise Operators
- Check if a number is divisible by 17 using bitwise operators
- Check if a number is multiple of 9 using bitwise operators
- Check if a number is divisible by 8 using bitwise operators
- Russian Peasant (Multiply two numbers using bitwise operators)
- Case conversion (Lower to Upper and Vice Versa) of a string using BitWise operators in C/C++
- Total pairs in an array such that the bitwise AND, bitwise OR and bitwise XOR of LSB is 1
- Code Optimization Technique (logical AND and logical OR)
- Leftover element after performing alternate Bitwise OR and Bitwise XOR operations on adjacent pairs
- Find subsequences with maximum Bitwise AND and Bitwise OR
- Operators in C | Set 1 (Arithmetic Operators)
- Sum of bit differences among all pairs
- Sum of bit differences for numbers from 0 to N
- What are the differences between C and Embedded C?
- Logical Not ! operator in C with Examples