What are Office Tools?
Office Tools include some Application Software that are used to create, update, manage documents, handle large data, create presentations etc. These tools if used effectively, can save a large amount of time and effort. Lots of repetitive tasks can be done very easily. In this article, we will discuss the following concepts:
- Word Processor
- Presentation Tool
- Spreadsheet Package
- Database Management System
1. Word Processor
Word Processor is a software that is used to manage text documents. User can create, update and formatting text files using word processor. It makes text document related work faster an easier. A word processor is an essential part of any office suite. A word processor usually runs on local machine as a desktop application like Microsoft word but nowadays cloud based Word Processors like Google docs are also used which makes it easier for teams to manage their documents on cloud.
Examples of some word processors are:
- MS-Word: Retail Cross-Platform word processor
- WordPad: Retail windows only word processor
- WordPerfect: Retail Cross-Platform word processor
- Google Docs: Freeware Cloud Based word processor
- LibreOffice Writer: Open Source word processor
Characteristics of word processor:
- Create, save and edit text documents.
- Includes text formatting like font size, alignment, font color, background color, etc.
- Checks spelling.
- Allows adding images, screenshots etc to document.
- Allows adding header and footer, set page margins and insert watermarks to your document.
2. Presentation Tool
A Presentation Tool is a software package used to display data and information in the form of a slide show. The information is broken into small pieces called slides. It has three major parts: editor that allows formatting and editing of text, method used for inserting and manipulating graphic images, screenshots etc, slide-show system to display the content in form of a slide show.
The Slides together are stacked up to make an idea presentable to audience to make up presentation.
Examples of some presentation tool are:
- MS-PowerPoint: Retail Cross-Platform presentation tool
- Lotus Freelance: proprietary software presentation tool
- Google Slides: Freeware Cloud Based presentation tool
- LibreOffice Impress: Open Source presentation tool
3. Spreadsheet Package
Spreadsheet Package is a software that allows users to store, process and modify data in a tabular form easily. It is an accounting tool to manage tabular data. In a Spreadsheet data is always stored in cells. A cell is intersection of rows and columns. functions and formulas can be used easily on cell and data can be processed using a spreadsheet tool.
Examples of some spreadsheet software are:
- MS-Excel: Retail Cross-Platform spreadsheet package
- Google Sheets: Freeware Cloud Based spreadsheet package
- LibreOffice Calc: Open Source spreadsheet package
Characteristics of spreadsheet package:
- User can handle simple calculations like addition, subtraction, average, counting, etc, very easily.
- User can Prepare charts and graphs on a group of data easily.
- Data formatting is efficient and effective.
- Cell formatting is easy.
- Logical Calculations can be done.
4. Database Management System
Database Management System is a software that manages data by storing them in tables to make up a database. A database is an organised collection of data accessed on a machine. A Database Management System interacts with data, users and application. User can store, read, update and can delete data based on his/her needs. A good DBMS provides a set of utilities to administrator to manage the data effectively.
Examples of some Database Management System are:
- Oracle Database
- Microsoft Access.
Characteristics of Database Management System:
- Data storing, reading and updating.
- User accessibility.
- Recovering damaged data facilities.
- Authorization of administrator and data access.
- Defining constraints for dataset.
Please Login to comment...