In this article, we will learn how to compile and run C++ program in VS Code. There are two ways of doing that you can use any one of them as per your convenience. It is to be noted that a majority of competitive programmers use C++, therefore the compilation and execution of the program needs to be done quickly. Some methods which are discussed in this article almost automate the process of compilation and execution.
Let below be the code to demonstrate compilation and execution:
Using Integrated Command Line:
For compilation and creation of executable file run the below command:
g++ -std = c++11 -O2 -Wall programName.cpp -o programName.exe
Understanding different terms in above command:
- g++: tells the computer the given command is for g++ compiler.
- -std = c++11: the compiler follows C++11 standard, you can set it to -std = c++14 or -std=c++17 based on what you want to use.
- -O2: Optimizes the code
- -Wall: shows warnings about possible errors
- programName.cpp: refers to the c++ file to be compiled
- -o programName.exe: creates a executable file of the suggested name( here programName.exe).
Note: The name of cpp file and executable file need not be same.
- Hover over terminal tab and select New Terminal.
- Command prompt will open with current directory.
- Type the syntax given above with suitable program-name and executable file name.
- Press Enter and
Method 1 – Calling Executable File and Managing Input/Output
Input/Output in command line itself:
- Pass the executable file to be run and press enter.
- Type the required input, each separated by space and press enter.
- The required output shall be displayed in a new-line of the command line as shown below.
Input/Output through text files:
- Create two text files input.txt and output.txt. Make sure input.txt contains the required to be input.
- Paste the following code just inside your main() function.
- Compile the new code again with preferably the same name for executable file.
- Pass the executable file to be run in the command line and press enter
- You would notice the output in output.txt file.
Method 2 – Using Code-Runner Extension:
Using the template created so far, we can easily upgrade to code runner. Below are the steps:
- Install the code runner extension as shown below:
- Click on the play button on the top-right of the window as shown below:
- The output of the program is displayed automatically in output.txt file.