VMware Interview Experience (On-Campus 2020)
Recently VMware visited our college The LNM Institute of Information Technology for both full-time and internship roles. The entire process was virtual on the Zoom meeting. The selection process consists of a total of 5 rounds. Eligible Branches were CSE, CCE, ECE.
CUTOFF: 6.5 and above with no active backlogs
Round 1 (Online Test): It consists of MCQs from OS, DBMS, Networks, and any of the two programming languages you know the most. There was a coding question. The coding question was easy, and it was related to finding the factors of a number.
After this round, 28 students were selected from 190 students for further interviews.
Round 2 (Technical Interview 1): The interviewer was pretty cool and started by asking me to introduce myself. After this, he told me to explain the projects. There was a brief discussion on projects. Then the interviewer asked me some DSA questions:
- The first question asked was to find the intersection point of two Linked Lists. I explained to the interviewer my approach, but he didn’t ask me to code.
- The second question was to merge two sorted arrays. Firstly I told him Brute-Force solution. But I was asked to improve the time complexity and give a better approach. I answered with time complexity O(N1+N2) and space complexity O(N1+N2). The idea was to use the Merge function of the Merge sort. I was asked to code this question.
- After this, he generalized the question and told me to merge k sorted arrays. I gave him a solution with time complexity O(N * log K), he was impressed. The idea was to use a heap data structure. Now discussion went around how heap data structure works and how I will implement the second question if the priority_queue is not allowed to use in CPP.
Then I was asked some time complexities related to Heap sort, Heapify.
After this round, 20 students were selected for further interviews.
Round 3 (Technical Interview 2): The interviewer introduced herself and asked me to introduce myself. Straight from this, she asked me DSA questions :
- The first question was to rearrange a queue like if we are given 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, we have to mix it as 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6. I used extra space O(N), but she told me to give a solution in O(1) space complexity. I was not able to say the optimized solution, then she told me to code the previous approach.
- The second question was to find the kth node from the end of a Linked List. I gave a solution using the length of the linked list, but she told me to traverse the Linked List only once. I got stuck for a bit, but then I gave a two-pointer approach. I was asked to code the approach.
- The third question was to sort the Linked List. I told her the merge sort approach. Then she asked me to explain the merge sort.
- The fourth question was to get a sorted Linked List from 2 alternatively sorted LInked List like if we are given:
We have to rearrange the Linked List as:
I told her an approach similar to merge two sorted linked arrays using two pointers. She was impressed. But I was not asked to code.
After all this, she told me to explain one of my projects.
Nine students were selected for further interviews.
Round 4 (Managerial Round): After the introduction, he started asking me questions from OS. Questions were from Memory Management and CPU Scheduling. Then he started asking me questions from CN like:
- Difference between Routers, Switches, and Hubs.
- What is the MAC address?
- What is MAC Spoofing and IP Spoofing?
Then he asked me some DSA questions:
After this, I was asked to explain one of my projects. Then again he asked me some questions from OS. This time he went deep into the concepts of threads, semaphore, mutex, and processes.
Three students were selected for the HR Round.
I hope my experience will help.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon. Google , E-Litmus and Microsoft Test Serieses.