Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), as name suggests, is a blueprint or a process for entire project that is used by the software industry to design, develop, and test high-quality software. This blueprint or process includes some common stages like requirement gathering and analysis, software design, coding and implementation, testing, development, and maintenance. The main goal of SDLC is to achieve and produce high-quality software that satisfies customer requirements and expectations, gets completed within a given period of time and cost estimates.
The ISO (International Organization for Standards) is an international standard for life cycle process. It aims to define primary standards that define all processes required for developing and maintaining software systems.
The SDLC activities of ISO 12207 are as follows :
- Agreement Processes –
Agreement processes are generally carried out for simply establishing agreement between two organizations. In this set of processes, many tasks are carried out that are important like requirement analysis, defining scope of system, finding out constraints for system development.
- Organizational Project Enabling Processes –
Organizational Project Enabling Processes are set of processes that define and maintain life cycle models and procedures for use by organization with respect to scope of international standards.
- Project Processes –
In this phase, project is described concerning planning, assessment, and control. There are two categories of processes- Project management processes and project support processes. This is a phase in which decision management processes, risk management processes, configuration management processes work.
- Technical Processes –
This is a phase in which a set of processes works to define requirements for system, to analyses requirements, and to transform requirements into effective design.
- Software Implementation Processes –
In this phase, set of processes is used to produce a specified system element implemented in software. Thus, a software product or service is developed in this phase.
- Software Support Processes –
This phase contains a set of processes that include documentation management process, quality assurance process, software verification process, and so on. These processes serve as support processes for developed software system.
- Software Reuse Processes –
There are certain processes such as domain engineering processes, reuse program management processes that serve as software reuse processes.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Essential Activities of Risk Management
- Milestones and Deliverable in Project Planning Activities
- Activities involved in Software Requirement Analysis
- Activities Performed during Defect Triage Process
- Software Engineering | RAD Model vs Traditional SDLC
- Software Engineering | SDLC V-Model
- Integrating Risk Management in SDLC | Set 1
- Integrating Risk Management in SDLC | Set 2
- Integrating Risk Management in SDLC | Set 3
- Difference between SDLC and STLC
- Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Software Maintenance and Various Software Maintenance Tables
- Various Approaches of Partitioning
- Various Stages of WIN-WIN Spiral Model
- Advantages and Disadvantages of various Software Models
- Various Phases of RAD Model
- Various Approaches to Functional Testing
- Various examples in Basis Path Testing
- Various Teams in Project Organization
- Various aspects of Software Testing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.