Uses of Ethernet
Ethernet was simply another name for the internet in the 1990s. IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)802.2 and IEEE 802.3 standards define it as one of the most widely used LAN technologies. The data link layer and the physical layer are both controlled by this ethernet. As you may be aware, before the advent of Wi-Fi in our society, the internet was entirely reliant on ethernet, which provided a fast and reliable connection.
Ethernet Features and working :
Here, we will discuss the features and working of Ethernet as follows.
- People in their homes use ethernet cables when their wireless Wi-Fi network connection isn’t providing them with enough speed. Ethernet is primarily used to connect multiple systems in a local area network, or LAN, as well as a wide area network, or WAN.
- Ethernet supports data bandwidths of 10, 100, 1000, 10000, 40000, and 100000 megabits per second (Mbps). When ethernet was first developed, bandwidths were measured in megabits per second (Mbps), but now they are measured in gigabits per second (Gbps).
- Layer 2 protocol and layer 1 technologies are defined by Ethernet. The data link layer is divided into two sublayers. The first is the Logical Link Control (LLC) sublayer, and the second is the MAC sublayer.
- The evolution of ethernet begins with the first type, “Standard Ethernet,” followed by the second type, “Fast Ethernet,” and then the third type, “Gigabit Ethernet,” and so on. Also available are “10 Gigabit Ethernet” and “100 Gigabit Ethernet.” Whereas standard ethernet has a maximum speed of 10Mbps, fast ethernet has a maximum speed of 100Mbps, Gigabit Ethernet has a maximum speed of 1Gbps, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet has a maximum speed of 10Gbps.
- Ethernet is popular because of its low cost and ability to connect with any network device that evolves. Ethernet speed was around 10Mbps in 1983 and is now around 400Gbps.
- Because of its high speed, security, and reliability, Ethernet is widely used in businesses, hospitals, schools, colleges, and gamers.
- Ethernet cables were originally made of coaxial cables, but they are now made of twisted-pair copper wiring, which was invented in 1881 by Alexander Graham Bell.
- However, ethernet is a fixed-type network connection that can only be used in LAN and WAN networks. In comparison to a Wi-Fi network, the installation process is much more difficult and time-consuming.
Need of Ethernet :
Over the last few years, Wi-Fi has grown in popularity. Technology advancements have resulted in Wi-Fi with better speeds and more consistent coverage. Wi-Fi signals can only handle a certain number of devices at any given moment. Because there are so many Wi-Fi-enabled gadgets competing for signal, the service may be weak or inconsistent. In old buildings, Wi-Fi drop zones are frequent. When Wi-Fi signals pass through barriers, they can become poor. Other common household items can also interfere with Wi-Fi signals like such as wireless telephones, TV satellite receiver, microwave etc.
Another justification of Ethernet versus Wi-Fi is that it is more secure. Anyone within range of a Wi-Fi hotspot can access transmitted data over the airwaves. The data can be stolen because it is transmitted by radio waves in the air. Data delivered over Ethernet, on the other hand, can only be accessed on the local network.
Uses Of Ethernet :
- Ethernet is used to connect different devices in a network with each other and even now this method is the best one for creating a Local Area Network that is LAN or Wide Area Network that is WAN.
- Ethernet is also used to connect Wi-Fi router or modem to the internet entry port or telephone line.
- It can also be used to wirelessly connect items that require the internet or a network to function, such as televisions, laptops, and other electronic gadgets.
- For different organizations, such as company headquarters, school campuses, and hospitals, local networks are employed. Ethernet is popular because of its speed, security, and dependability.
- Ethernet is sometimes also used for creating a same environment in the gaming for 2-3 players and is liable because of it’s high speed without any interference.
Please Login to comment...