MongoDB is an open-source document-oriented database. MongoDB stores data in the form of key-value pairs and is a NoSQL database program. The term NoSQL means non-relational.
PyMongo contains tools which are used to interact with the MongoDB database. Now let’s see how to update all the documents in a collection.
Updating all Documents in a Collection
PyMongo includes an update_many() function which updates all the documents which satisfy the given query.
update_many() accepts the following parameters –
- filter – It is the first parameter which is a criteria according to which the documents that satisfy the query are updated.
- update operator- It is the second parameter which contains the information to be updated in the documents.
- upsert- (Optional) It is a boolean. If set to true and there is no document matching the filter, a new document is created.
- array_filters – (Optional) It is an array of filter documents to determine which array elements to modify for an update operation on an array field.
- bypass_document_validation – (Optional) A boolean which skips the document validation when set to True.
- collation – (Optional) specifies the language specific rules for the operation.
- session – (Optional) a ClientSession.
Update Operators in MongoDB
- $set: Used to set a fields value.
- $setOnInsert: Update value only if a new document insertion.
- $unset: Remove the field and its value.
- $inc: Increases the value by a given amount.
- $min/$max: returns minimum or maximum of value.
- $mul: multiplies the values by a given amount.
- $currentDate: Updates value of a field to current date.
- $rename: Renames a field
Now let’s understand through some examples.
Some use cases we are going to see in this article where updating many records can be useful:
- Changing or incrementing several elements based on a condition.
- Inserting a new field to multiple or all documents.
Example 1: All the students with marks greater than 35 has been passed.
Database After Query:
Example 2: New field called address added to all documents
Database After query:
- Get all the Documents of the Collection using PyMongo
- Get all the information of a Collection's indexes using PyMongo
- How to Drop all the indexes in a Collection using PyMongo?
- How to rebuild all the indexes of a collection using PyMongo?
- How to update data in a Collection using Python?
- What is a PyMongo Cursor?
- Create XML Documents using Python
- Get the Names of all Collections using PyMongo
- Nested Queries in PyMongo
- How to check if the PyMongo Cursor is Empty?
- Convert PyMongo Cursor to JSON
- Convert PyMongo Cursor to Dataframe
- Count the number of Documents in MongoDB using Python
- Difference Between insert(), insertOne(), and insertMany() in Pymongo
- Python Set | update()
- Garbage Collection in Python
- Python | Even values update in dictionary
- Python: Update Nested Dictionary
- Python | Pandas Series.update()
- Python MySQL - Update Query