Unreal vs CryEngine
Over the last decade, the gaming industry has gained a lot of popularity. More and more advanced games are being built for user’s entertainment, some of the top companies in this field are Sony Playstation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo etc. Building these games is a tough process and requires special game engines, two mostly used game engines are Unreal Engine and CryEngine. Both of these softwares are designed especially for easing the game development process. A large number of games have been developed using these game engines like Harold Halibut, GooBall, Far Cry, Crysis etc. so we will compare these two game engines in detail.
Unreal Engine is computer software made with the purpose of game development so it is a game engine. The development credit for this software goes to Epic Games and it was first launched in 1998. Its author is Tim Sweeney. It is capable of making 2D and 3D games. It is available for different operating systems like Windows, macOS, etc. It is easy to use and is capable of making complex games.
Advantages of Unreal Engine
- It has an easy interface with which game development can be easily started.
- It has a node feature which allows game development without writing codes.
- It comes with impeccable graphic quality.
- It has better rendering technology which is quite faster than other game engines.
- It comes with pre-built game levels which gives an initial start to the game developers.
Disadvantages of Unreal Engines
- It charges a 5% royalty, once your published game earns $1 million.
- It provides fewer plugins than that of Unity.
- It needs a high processor along with a dedicated graphic card and memory.
CryEngine is computer software which is used for making different types of games. It is developed by Crytech using C++, C# and Lua programming languages. It was first released in 2002 and its stable version was released in 2020. It can be run on different platforms like Windows, MacOS, Linux etc. It is used by many organisations for making commercial games, it is popular due to its easy-to-use interface.
Advantages of CryEngine
- It is easy to use and requires only basic programming knowledge.
- It supports VR functionalities.
- It allows integrations with many software like blender, Maya etc
- It is suitable for AAA games.
Disadvantages of CryEngine
- It requires heavy processors to run the software smoothly.
- It requires a graphic card with the latest driver.
Following is a table of differences between Unreal Engine and Cryengine:
|1.||It can be understood as an advanced 3D creation tool used for developing photo-real visuals and games.||It can be understood as a game engine which is designed by a German company for designing different types of video games.|
|2.||It was developed by Epic Games.||It was developed by Crytek.|
|3.||It is free to use but a 5% royalty is charged when your game earns $1 million.||It is available at a $9.90 per month subscription.|
|4.||It has a market share of 23%.||It has a market share of around 5%.|
|5.||It is built using C++ and Blueprint programming languages.||It is built using C# and C++ and Lua programming languages.|
|6.||Unreal Engine is available for Windows and Mac both.||It is available for Windows operating systems only.|
|7.||Consoles supported by Unreal Engine are Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One etc.||Consoles supported by this engine are PS4 and Xbox One only.|
|8.||Unreal Engine is ranked 2nd in the gaming industry.||CryEngine is ranked on 7th position in the gaming industry.|
Please Login to comment...