We would learn here how to completely uninstall any Linux OS from PC through Windows.
This is a procedure that envolves to steps->
(i) Delete Linux Partition
(ii) Remove Linux OS from EFI System Partition
You must be thinking what is EFI System Partition?
The EFI system partition (ESP) is a partition on a storage device that is used by computers adhering to the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). When a computer is booted, UEFI firmware loads files stored on the ESP to start installed operating systems either windows or Linux(ubuntu/fedora/mint).
Let’s get started with the uninstallation procedure->
(i) Log on to Windows OS in Admin mode.
(ii) On the left-corner windows icon right click.
(iii) Here you will see options like
(iv) Open Disk Management
(v) Delete the Partition which does not have a letter (like (C:)) or is not a NTFS partition and is greater than 1GB.
(vi) Now you have successfully completed the first Step.
(vii) Ubuntu/Fedora(Linux OS) is deleted but on restarting your pc you will still see the grub option so we need to uninstall Linux OS from EFI System Partition too.
(viii) Now open the Command Prompt (Admin) ( shown in the options image above ).
(ix) Follow these commands->
Note the line after ‘#’ is just to explain the command
> diskpart > list disk # select the primary disk > select disk 0 # disk 0 is > list partition # a list of partition is opened Note-> Check which is the system partition (example partition 1 is system partition) > select partition 1 #select the system partition > assign letter=x #disk is now mounted in your explorer verify with (windows+E) >exit #exit from diskpart >x: # this would select this newly mounted disk x: > dir # displays content > cd efi >dir #displays content Note-> You can now see the OS check your Linux OS >rd ubuntu /S #if Linux os is Ubuntu >y #to confirm delete
>NOTE:- Restart your PC and the drive X: mounted EFI partition disappears again.
Linux OS is now completely uninstalled.
This article is contributed by SHAURYA UPPAL.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Linux vs Windows Commands
- How to run Linux Commands on Windows 10?
- How to Install Linux on Windows PowerShell Subsystem?
- Setup Terraform On Linux and Windows Machine
- Creating a Dual Boot System with Linux and Windows
- Difference Between Arch Linux and Kali Linux
- Linux Virtualization : Linux Containers (lxc)
- How to use Emojis in Windows 10?
- Zip files in Windows
- IDE for Python programming on Windows
- Useful CMD commands for daily use in Windows OS
- How to Boost Performance in Windows 10?
- Windows Shortcut Keys
- How To Use Bash Shell Natively On Windows 10
- How to create a Folder without any name and icon in Windows OS?
- How to Create and Configure Wi-Fi Hotspot in Windows 10?
- Setup GitLab Repository On Windows 10
- How to mount windows drives in Ubuntu
- Autorun a Python script on windows startup
- How to Change Colours in Command Prompt in Windows?