Understanding Scrum Master and its Roles
The way of software development has been changed a lot. The IT industry has seen a transformation from classical waterfall development model to Agile development model. Most of the IT industries are using agile method of software development now a days. Where Scrum is an agile framework of development. In this Scrum, development approach, one of the important role is Scrum Master.
In this article we will discuss more about the Scrum Master, skills required to become a scrum master, its’ role and responsibilities and finally what are the challenges faced by a scrum master. So, let’s start exploring the topic.
Facilitators of the scrum(Agile framework of software development) are known as Scrum Masters. Scrum is a lightweight agile framework which simple to understand but hard to master. As facilitators, scrum masters act as a guide to the rest of the team.
The Scrum Master is responsible for the Team’s ability. Within the Scrum framework, they do this by allowing the Scrum Team to develop its practices.
Role and responsibility of scrum master:
The team role is answerable for guarantee the team follows agile values and principles.
The role and responsibility include:
- Clearing obstacles.
- Addressing team dynamics.
- Meeting facilitations.
- Internal consulting and reporting.
- Making an environment where the team can be productive.
- Guarantee a good relationship between the product owner and team along with others outside the team.
- Coaching the team about cross functionality.
- Protecting the team from outside distractions.
Essential Skills required for Scrum Master:
We are collecting Scrum Master skills that every Scrum Master should acquire.
- Facilitate meetings
- Protecting the team
- Conflict resolutions
- Coaching Agile practices
- A tight grip on Agile Estimating and outlining
- Eliminating impediments
- Creating communication channel
- Servant leader
- Implementing Rules
Advantages of the globally recognized Scrum Master certification.
- Provide yourself with a solid base of Scrum knowledge
- Upgrade your mindset
- You’ll stay relevant and marketable
- Scrum Master certification benefits your organization
- Influence your organization to adopt Agile
- Work better with your peers
- Certification speaks louder than words
- Join a community of Scrum experts
- Win projects with qualified employees
- A badge of honor
Challenges faced by a Scrum Master:
The role of a Scrum Master is to follow the hierarchical Waterfall method of working by a traditional Project Manager. Scrum Master is not the project manager, rather scrum master is at the same level like others but it helps project managers in facilitating better business practices.
The Scrum Master’s role is a challenging one, and the most experienced Scrum Masters also find it hard to cope with the pressure.
- Difficulty in Maintaining Time-boxing
- Agile Meetings not conducted correctly
- Conflict between Agile methodology and Waterfall methodology
- Lack of Agile Training and skill enhancement
- Absence of Compromise between Stakeholders and Agile Teams
- Unhealthy Relationship with the Product Owner
- Scrum Master Taking on Admin Tasks
- Managing Distributed Teams
- Fear of Being Transparent
- Team vs Individual Performances
- Management has Different Expectations
- Getting fast Resolution to Problems
- Skipping Meetings
- Working on Multiple Teams and bring comfortable to the teams
- Change after Sprint completion