UGC-NET | UGC NET CS 2017 Jan – II | Question 39
Which of the following scheduling algorithms may cause starvation ?
b. Round Robin
d. Shortest process next
e. Shortest remaining time first
(A) a, c and e
(B) c, d and e
(C) b, d and e
(D) b, c and d
- In First Come First Serve(FCFS) if a process with a very large Burst Time comes before other processes, the other process will have to wait for a long time but it is clear that other process will definitely get their chance to execute, so it will not suffer from starvation.
- In Round Robin there is a fixed time quant and every process will get their chance to be executed, so no starvation is here.
- In Priority based scheduling if higher priority process keep on coming then low priority process will suffer from starvation.
- In Shortest Job First(SJF) if process with short process time keep on coming continuously then process with higher burst time will do wait and suffer from starvation.
- In Shortest remaining time first(SRTF) process with shortest burst time will execute first because of this process with high burst time may suffer from starvation.
So, option (C) is correct.
Quiz of this QuestionMy Personal Notes arrow_drop_up