Search Engine Optimization (SEO) as discussed before, helps in improving the rank of a website in search engines. The search engines have algorithms designed for them to get the most desirable results from the world wide web (www). So, basically there are two types of SEO practices that are used for this purpose:
1. On-page SEO
2. Off-Page SEO
Anything that is done inside the website is a part of On-page SEO. It’s all about Keyword Optimization, which is a process of using the words that have the maximum credibility when it comes to getting a good ranking on SERP (Search Engine Result Page). These keywords are basically what a user types on the search engine query while browsing the internet. To get an idea of the popular keywords on a particular niche, keyword analysis tools like semrush, longtailpro, etc are used. While these are the tools a user may have to pay for, there is a free tool by Google that lets you shortlist keywords in minimal time.
The Google crawlers look for the following things while landing on a website:
- Title tags
- Meta tags
- Category tags
- Internal linkings in a website
- External linkings to other websites
Implementing On-page SEO
To implement On-page SEO to your site, following things can be applied:
- Adding Yoast SEO plugin to your WordPress site. This plugin helps in making the site SEO friendly, which can be installed on any self-hosted WordPress website.
- Take popular keywords from the keyword planner tool and try to apply on your website.
Example: You came across a keyword “SEO checker tools”, you may add this to the title to make it like “A guide to SEO checker tools” or even add this keyword at few places while developing the body of the content.
- Using keywords in tags and meta descriptions.
- Adding alt text to the images.
Off-page SEO is generally regulated by links. Pages with the similar type of contents are linked together. The more the external website add links to your website, more will be the link popularity, hence the SEO ranking would improve. These links can usually be of two types:
- External links: Links from a credible website to your website.
- Internal links: Links within a website. These types of links that help in spreading the link juice (link authority) around the website.
Link Building Strategy
- Natural links: Other websites linking to your content(blogs, images, products, videos, etc).
- Outreach links: Approaching other websites to link to your site.
- Self-created links: Writing guest posts, articles, videos for other websites, providing links to your site.
There are link building methods like One-way (a website linking to another website), Two-way (both websites linking to each other), Three-way (websites link to each other in a chain) that help a website in securing a better rank and a higher page authority.
So, these are two types of SEO practices that are widely used by many website owners to stay in the competition of getting to the first page of the SERP.My Personal Notes arrow_drop_up