Types of Desktop Publishing Software
Desktop publishing software is a type of software that enables users to create and publish various types of documents, such as brochures, newsletters, flyers, books, magazines, and other printed materials. This software provides users with the ability to layout and design documents, add images, graphics, and other visual elements, and manipulate text and typography to create professional-looking publications.
Desktop publishing software is designed to be user-friendly and accessible to non-designers, allowing individuals and businesses to create high-quality publications without the need for specialized skills or training. Many desktop publishing software applications also come with templates and pre-designed layouts, making it even easier to create professional-looking documents quickly.
Desktop publishing software has become an essential tool for businesses, organizations, and individuals who need to create high-quality printed materials for various purposes, such as advertising, marketing, education, and entertainment. It has revolutionized the printing industry by allowing individuals and businesses to produce high-quality publications at a much lower cost than traditional printing methods.
Desktop Publishing (DTP) is a type of software that helps in creating the electronic form of letters, reports, documents, presentations, books, cards, certificates, brochures, and newspapers by using various computer programs. It helps in creating documents with the use of page layout software on the given computer. It also used to create documents with the use of page layouts software on electronic gadgets. For example,
- Cards- for special occasions such as weddings, birthdays, etc.
- Certificates- completion of certificate courses, academic certificates, etc.
- Calendars- used to show dates and by companies to advertise their products.
- Brochures / Posters- for publicity.
Types of DTP Software
There are two main types of DTP software:
- Graphical Based- It is used for editing and formatting graphic objects like pictures. For instance, Adobe Photoshop.
- Layout-Based- It is used to create different page layout designs for pictures and text. For instance, Adobe PageMaker.
Types of desktop publishing software available in the market. Here are some of the most popular types:
- Adobe InDesign: Adobe InDesign is one of the most popular desktop publishing software applications used by professionals to create complex publications such as books, magazines, and newspapers. It offers advanced layout and design tools, as well as integration with other Adobe products such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Microsoft Publisher: Microsoft Publisher is a desktop publishing software application that is popular among small businesses and home users. It offers a range of pre-designed templates and easy-to-use layout and design tools.
- QuarkXPress: QuarkXPress is a professional desktop publishing software application that is widely used in the printing industry. It offers advanced layout and design tools and is particularly useful for creating complex publications with multiple pages.
- Scribus: Scribus is a free and open-source desktop publishing software application that is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It offers a range of layout and design tools and is particularly popular among small businesses and home users.
- Affinity Publisher: Affinity Publisher is a relatively new desktop publishing software application that is gaining popularity among professionals. It offers advanced layout and design tools and is particularly useful for creating complex publications such as books and magazines.
- Canva: Canva is a cloud-based desktop publishing software application that is popular among non-designers. It offers a range of pre-designed templates and easy-to-use layout and design tools and is particularly useful for creating social media graphics and other online content.
Following are the features of DTP:
- Text can be entered directly into DTP Publication.
- Text can also be entered into Word Processor and then copied into the DTP document.
- This gives more control over the graphics in a publication.
- One can move, change the size, rotate and crop in this software.
- It has a wide range of fonts and print sizes that can be merged with.
- It enables the scaling and cropping of publications.
- Multiple-page documents could be produced.
- Insertion of numbering on pages.
Following are the advantages of DTP:
- Easy to use.
- The time it takes to design and for publication is greatly reduced.
- Files could be sent electronically using e-mail services to the editor or client for the approval process.
- Once approved, the final layout could be sent directly for publication.
- This software could be used to control some forms of computer-aided manufacturing equipment used in sign-making.
Following are the disadvantages of DTP:
- Setup expenses for computer, DTP Software, and a good printer.
- Need knowledge of using this software.
- There are lots of system limitations.
Here are some references for further reading on types of desktop publishing software:
- “Top 10 Desktop Publishing Software Programs for Windows” by Lifewire: This article provides an overview of the top desktop publishing software programs available for Windows users.
- “Best Desktop Publishing Software for Macs” by TechRadar: This article reviews the best desktop publishing software programs available for Mac users.
- “The Best Free Desktop Publishing Software for Windows” by MakeUseOf: This article provides an overview of the best free desktop publishing software programs available for Windows users.
- “The Top Desktop Publishing Software for Graphic Designers” by Creative Bloq: This article provides an overview of the top desktop publishing software programs used by professional graphic designers.
- “The Best Desktop Publishing Software for Small Businesses” by Small Business Trends: This article reviews the best desktop publishing software programs for small businesses.
Frequently Asked Questions on DTP
Question 1: What are the names of Desktop Publishing Programs?
Some of the Desktop Publishing Programs are Microsoft Publisher, Adobe inDesign and Quark Express.
Question 2: Name 3 types of design which is done with the help of DTP.
Block Designing, Advertising Designing and Pamphlet Designing.
Question 3: What is the role of DTP?
DTP is used to create documents like leaflets, brochures, newsletters etc.
Question 4: State two advantages of DTP software over a word processor.
a) DTP is having wide range of templates and text styles.
b) There is more control over the way text is arranged and formatted.
Please Login to comment...