The few, yet interactive tricks in WindowsW that may create a difference during the implementation of the tasks you perform. Try it out and explore all the possibilities ahead!
1. Launch Taskbar Programs Using Keyboard
Each App pinned right after the Start button is ordered numerically. The 1st App is numbered as “1”, the 2nd as “2”, the 3rd as “3”, …to the 10th App on taskbar as “0”. Try by pressing the Windows key W + the App’s number you want to launch.
WinW + 3 launches the Microsoft Edge.
WinW + 4 launches the File Explorer.
2. Snap Windows
You can open the window and drag it either to the top edge, right side or left side. It will automatically resize it to fill the desktop screen. Using the trick below will snap the selected window in the exact same way.
WinW + right arrow →
WinW + left arrow ←
WinW + up arrow ↑
WinW + down arrow ↓
3. Customize Keyboard Shortcuts
Right-click the App’s icon and select “Properties”. Open the “Shortcut” tab, and press the key you wish to launch the App in the “Shortcut Key” field.
The shortcut key will be assigned as Ctrl+Alt+<key> to open the App. Click OK. Try it now!
4. Problem Step Recorder (PSR)
PSR or Steps Recorder is a program that helps you troubleshoot a problem on your device by recording the exact steps and moves. You can then send this record to a Windows Support professional to help them diagnose the problem. It does not record the text that you type, except for functions and shortcut keys.
Search psr in the WindowsW Start menu and then select the Steps Recorder.
You may also change the Number or recent screen captures to store, Output locations and other. Adjustment in settings are temporary i.e. they go back to defaults when you close and reopen.
5. Dynamic Lock
Dynamic Lock is convenient to handle Windows device access. It automatically locks your computer after pairing your Computer with your Phone over Bluetooth.
Go to Control Panel → Hardware and Sound → Devices and Printers. Activate Dynamic Lock at Settings → Account → Sign-in options.
6. Heavy Jump Lists
You can increase the number of items in Jump Lists in order to display many files (as its default limit is 10 items). Follow the below steps:
Right-click on the Taskbar, select Properties. From the dialog box, open the Jump List tab and change the number of recent items to display.
Other way is to Open the Registry Editor by typing “regedit” on search bar. In the left sidebar, go to the key shown below:
Right-click on Advanced and choose New → DWORD (32-bit) Value and name the value: “JumpListItems_Maximum”
Now, double-click on the JumpListItems_Maximum key and change the Value data.
This makes easier to find the files that you need in one go. You may also set smaller Jump List value. Try out now!
- 10 Interesting Python Cool Tricks
- 7 Tips and Tricks to Learn Programming Faster
- 10 Essential Python Tips And Tricks For Programmers
- How to use Emojis in Windows 10?
- Useful CMD commands for daily use in Windows OS
- Windows 10 –Feel the Difference
- How to set PHP development environment in windows ?
- How to run Linux Commands on Windows 10?
- IDE for Python programming on Windows
- Microsoft Windows (10) Vs macOS (Mojave)
- How to create a Folder without any name and icon in Windows OS?
- Windows 10 Toast Notifications with Python
- How To Use Bash Shell Natively On Windows 10
- C++, OpenCV and Gtk3 Windows dev environment
- Setup GitLab Repository On Windows 10
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.