Consider a directed graph given in below, DFS of the below graph is 1 2 4 6 3 5 7 8. In below diagram if DFS is applied on this graph a tree is obtained which is connected using green edges.
Tree Edge: It is a edge which is present in tree obtained after applying DFS on the graph. All the Green edges are tree edges.
Forward Edge: It is an edge (u, v) such that v is descendant but not part of the DFS tree. Edge from 1 to 8 is a forward edge.
Back edge: It is an edge (u, v) such that v is ancestor of edge u but not part of DFS tree. Edge from 6 to 2 is a back edge. Presence of back edge indicates a cycle in directed graph.
Cross Edge: It is a edge which connects two node such that they do not have any ancestor and a descendant relationship between them. Edge from node 5 to 4 is cross edge.
- Maximum Possible Edge Disjoint Spanning Tree From a Complete Graph
- Maximum number of edges to be added to a tree so that it stays a Bipartite graph
- Remove all outgoing edges except edge with minimum weight
- Edge Coloring of a Graph
- Check if removing a given edge disconnects a graph
- Program to Calculate the Edge Cover of a Graph
- Shortest Path in a weighted Graph where weight of an edge is 1 or 2
- Maximize number of nodes which are not part of any edge in a Graph
- Count number of edges in an undirected graph
- All vertex pairs connected with exactly k edges in a graph
- Minimum number of edges between two vertices of a Graph
- Shortest path with exactly k edges in a directed and weighted graph
- Largest subset of Graph vertices with edges of 2 or more colors
- Program to find the diameter, cycles and edges of a Wheel Graph
- Program to find total number of edges in a Complete Graph
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Sektor_jr