OpenCV is one of the most popular and most used Computer vision libraries. It contains tools to carry out image and video processing.
When OpenCV 3..4.1 is an improved version of OpenCV 2.4 as it introduced new algorithms and features. Although some of the existing modules were rewritten and moved to sub-modules. In this articles, I will focus on the changes made in the existing modules of OpenCV 2.4 and how they can be implemented in OpenCV 3.4.1.
Some of the feature detection algorithms (FREAK, BRIEF, SIFT and SURF) have been moved to opencv_contrib repository and xfeatures2d module. SIFT and SURF algorithms are patented by their creators and are non-free. Although they can be used for educational and research purposes.
SIFT : Create SIFT feature detector object.
SURF : Create SURF feature detector object
FAST : Create FAST detector object
ORB : Create ORB detector object
Simple Blob Detector
OpenCV uses Hough Gradient Method to detect circles that uses gradient information of the edges.
The name of the method has been changed from
CV_HOUGH_GRADIENT in 2.4 version to
HOUGH_GRADIENT in 3.4 version.
findContours() function returned only two parameters in OpenCV 2.4 . In OpenCV 3.2 onwards, the function was modified to return three parameters i.e. the modified image, contours and hierarchy.
These were a few important changes that could be useful while migrating the code from OpenCV 2 .4 to OpenCV 3.x .
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- OpenCV - Facial Landmarks and Face Detection using dlib and OpenCV
- Opencv Python program for Face Detection
- Real-Time Edge Detection using OpenCV in Python | Canny edge detection method
- OpenCV Python Program to analyze an image using Histogram
- Detection of a specific color(blue here) using OpenCV with Python
- Python Program to detect the edges of an image using OpenCV | Sobel edge detection method
- Erosion and Dilation of images using OpenCV in python
- Line detection in python with OpenCV | Houghline method
- Template matching using OpenCV in Python
- Set up Opencv with anaconda environment
- Addition and Blending of images using OpenCV in Python
- Histograms Equalization in OpenCV
- Reading an image in OpenCV using Python
- Draw geometric shapes on images using OpenCV
- Python | Play a video in reverse mode using OpenCV
- Python | Program to extract frames using OpenCV
- Opening multiple color windows to capture using OpenCV in Python
- Converting Color video to grayscale using OpenCV in Python
- Python | Play a video using OpenCV
- Python | Detect corner of an image using OpenCV
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.