Privacy, Data Privacy, Digital Privacy, Social Media Privacy, privacy from trackers, privacy from government, All these things have became very important these days. One of the most important factor for Privacy is the usage of personally identifiable information which include name, address, email and mobile number with now evolving AI, machine learning algorithms, and neural networks now things like interests, online behavior, mostly anything that can be unique is being recorded and stored.
The main reason for collecting personally identifiable information is to provide better ads which in turn convert them into selling products and services, One of the most successful model used by Facebook, Instagram, YouTube almost any freemium model mostly works the same. The worrying factor about this model is the amount of data being collected is also being used for displaying biased ideas over internet, political agendas and other unethical ways. The storage and security of the data is also a questionable thing.
Now what is TOR browser and Onion Network :
Onion Network is a network of special network of tor relays which isolates from SURVEILLANCE, trackers only accessible via Tor Browser. Tor is free and open-source software run by individuals and Privacy supporters. The name derived from the acronym for the original software project name “The Onion Router”, Tor directs Internet traffic through a free, worldwide, volunteer overlay network consisting of more than seven thousand relays to conceal a user’s location and usage from anyone conducting network surveillance or traffic analysis, It also triple routes traffic increasing more privacy. Using Tor makes it more difficult to trace Internet activity to the user: this includes visits to Web sites, online posts, instant messages, and other communication forms,used to protect the personal privacy of its users, as well as their freedom and ability to conduct confidential communication by keeping their Internet activities untracked.
Along with Tor browser, Tor community also provides Hidden services also known as Onion Services which provide anonymity to websites and other servers configured to receive inbound connections only through Tor. Tor also provide free domain with TLD .onion but the problem is that the domain that will be generated is a random string mostly. Rather than revealing a server’s IP address (and thus its network location), an onion service is accessed through its onion address, usually via the Tor Browser. The Tor network understands these addresses by looking up their corresponding public keys and introduction points from a distributed hash table within the network. It can route data to and from onion services, even those hosted behind firewalls or network address translators (NAT), while preserving the anonymity of both parties. Tor is necessary to access these onion services.
Difference bewteen Tor and VPN :
- The main difference between Tor and VPN is that VPN’s tunnel the traffic over the internet but Tor sends it over a special network.
- Mostly Tor need Tor browser or an browser that can connect to the Onion Network to work but most of the VPN’s work with most of the browsers
- Tor is slow because it runs by community in different types of servers and providers different layers of anonymity, VPN’s are fast because they run on special servers with regular updates with direct tunneling with the host.
- Tor can’t always provide complete security because its run by volunteers and different people have different intentions, VPN’s are more secure than Tor
- Tor is free which you can’t beat, almost every best VPN comes with a price
- Tor also provide hidden services.
- Tor and VPN’s are available for macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.