Nomura and Indian Oil Corporation are two completely different companies with completely different profiles and still Trisha Roy, a chemical engineering graduate from BIT Mesra managed to land job offers from both of them. Nomura hires recent graduates from some of the top colleges like St. Stephen’s, BITS Mesra, IITs, NITs etc. Nomura has a strong presence in India and offers a wide range of financial products and services. Nomura normally looks for analyst profiles in investment banking but from engineering colleges it’s usually for a technical profile either to create software to help other analyst make smarter trading decisions or testing profiles to improve upon already existing software. In an interview with TopTalent.in, Trisha sheds some light on the Nomura Recruitment Process and what you should do to avail such an opportunity (apart from using TopTalent :D).
1. TopTalent.in : What was the reaction when you first got selected and how did your parents react?
Trisha : Well, considering that I already had a job, I was happy and satisfied, but not ecstatic altogether. My parents however, were very glad. My basic emotion at the moment was contentment.
2. TopTalent.in : Can you describe the hiring process in brief?
Trisha : The hiring process consisted of a written aptitude test, followed by three interviews, two technical and one HR. The written test consisted of a quantitative section, a verbal ability section, and a section on Logical Reasoning. The first technical interview comprised of puzzles, basic questions on finance, some problems on programming and some questions about internships. The HR round was fairly simple and predictable. The second technical interview primarily revolved around a slightly complex programming problem.
3. TopTalent.in : Which was the toughest question and how did you answer it?
Trisha : I was asked to write a code/algorithm for a chess game in the last interview, and not being a Computer Science or Information Technology student, I was initially a little reluctant in going ahead with the problem. However, I started simplifying the problem to a code for a single King and a single Pawn, concentrating on protecting the king from all directions. The interviewer too helped me along the way by giving certain hints and directions, and eventually, over the pleasant interaction which lasted about twenty minutes, we had before us a well written algorithm for the question.
4. TopTalent.in : What according to you was the company looking for in candidates?
Trisha : I think the primary thing they were looking for was smartness and strong analytical skills. They wanted people who, when faced with tricky and perplexing situations, can do better than giving up right away. They wanted street smart and confident people, who had the inherent ability to quickly and efficiently develop decent programming logic.
5. TopTalent.in : What tips you can give which might help other freshers applying similar jobs?
Trisha : I will suggest that future aspirants practice solving some mathematical puzzles before appearing for the interview. They should appear very confident and composed throughout the entire process.
6. TopTalent.in : What was that one thing which you think might have helped you over others?
Trisha : I believe my confidence might have worked in my favor the most. Moreover, I am usually very good with p7.uzzles and analytical questions, which I think was apparent, and might have played a vital role in my selection.
7. TopTalent.in : Working at Nomura is going to be very challenging. What are your expectations?
Trisha : As far as I am concerned, I would get bored without challenges. Hence, I look forward to a very competitive yet healthy work culture at Nomura, that enables me to acquire sufficient domain knowledge in the field of analytics, business and finance.
8. TopTalent.in : Given that you have two offers now (Nomura and Indian Oil) which company are you planning to join and why?
Trisha : Though I am still consulting some seniors on the matter and have not made my final choice yet, still I think I will probably join Nomura. That is so because considering my future aim of doing an MBA in finance, I believe my work-experience in Nomura will give me an edge over IOCL during the time of admissions.
This article is powered by TopTalent.in – A high end Job portal for students and alumni of Premier Colleges in India. Sign up now for free exclusive access to top notch jobs in India and abroad. Get in touch with them via facebook, twitter or linkedin. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks
- [TopTalent.in] Exclusive Rapid Fire Interview with Deepali Who Got Into Facebook
- [TopTalent.in] Exclusive Rapid Fire Interview with Gritika Who Got a job offer from Microsoft
- Nomura Holdings Interview Experience (On-Campus)
- VMware Interview Experience | Set3 (On-Campus for Full Time and Internship Offers)
- [TopTalent.in] Interview with Manpreet Who Got Offers From Amazon, Hoppr, Browserstack, Reliance via TopTalent.in
- Why I didn't go for lucrative offers of Ibibo/ZoomCar and decided to go for an entrepreneurial journey in the current Startup I am working for
- Barclays Investment Bank Pune Interview Experience (On-Campus Interview)
- Huawei Interview Experience | OnSite Interview ( 5 years experienced)
- Microsoft Interview Interview Experience for Full Time
- Valuelabs-Hyderabad Interview Experience | On-Campus Interview
- Amazon Interview Experience (Telephonic Interview)
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 180 (Telephonic Interview )
- Amazon Interview Experience | Set 249 (Telephonic Interview)
- TCS Interview Experience: Off-Campus Interview through Codevita
- TCS Ninja Interview Experience and Interview Questions
- Bloomberg Interview | Set 1 (Phone Interview)
- Amazon Interview -SDE 1 Interview Experience
- HCL Interview | Set 1
- IBM IRL Interview | Set 1
- TCS NQT Interview Experience