Tower Research Capital LLC is a financial services firm located in New York that specializes in quantitative trading and investment strategies. Founded in 1998, Tower develops proprietary trading algorithms by using rigorous statistical methodology to identify non-random patterns in the behavior of markets (Phew!). Hence for obvious reasons, Tower Research is staffed by employees who are highly proficient in Mathematics, Computer Programming, Physics, Law, Economics, Engineering, Finance. Tower Research recruits smart individuals mainly from premier institutes like the IITs with either of the above mentioned backgrounds.
We have interviewed some of the most amazing people in the past who have received job offers from world’s best companies with salaries unheard of, but nothing beats Rizwan Hudda who graduated from BITS Pilani and IIT Kanpur and would be joining Tower Research’s India office very soon for a salary of INR 44 LPA. That’s right, you must have seen newspaper articles with US salaries converted into Rupees but this is nothing like that, which is exactly what makes Rizwan’s achievement so unique. Just to put this in perspective, Microsoft for example offered 55 LPA (converted to Rupees) for engineers joining their Redmond office while 14 Lakhs for the same position from their India office. The rest we would leave for our intelligent audience to decipher. And not to forget, we are only taking into consideration all the offers made to engineering college grads just out of college.
As always Rizwan has also agreed to share his stellar resume with our users. So click here to download his resume by logging in. Read the candid interview with Rizwan Hudda as he talks about how he got the offer and how you can do it too.
TopTalent : What’s it like to interview for the post of “Strategist” at Tower Research?
Rizwan: It was a unique experience, all the interviewers were very friendly. I was given different math puzzles to test my problem solving skills and math aptitude. I got hints when I was completely stuck, they would let me know if I was going in the correct direction, etc. I was asked lot of questions, all of them were of this format mainly: Design the most efficient algorithm for task X ? or formally prove mathematical claim Y?.
I really enjoyed the whole experience of giving the interviews. It was much more interesting compared to the regular SDE interviews because most of the questions asked in tower interviews were unknown to me before. I would say the interview process was super candidate-friendly.
TopTalent : Can you describe the hiring process and what exactly you would be working on?
Rizwan: There was a written test on campus a couple of days before the final interviews. On the day of final interviews, there were 3 interviews, candidates were eliminated after each round. My job description would be to use Math/Stat/Algorithm skills to analyze the financial data, and design/test/ deploy high frequency trading strategies for the company. I am expecting it to be a challenging and interesting role.
TopTalent : What preparation did you put in to win this opportunity?
Rizwan: I practiced the math questions at gurmeet puzzles and CSE blog a week before the interview. They helped me get an idea of the kind of questions asked in the interviews, and build some confidence. Also, I am semi-active in competitive programming hence was in touch with algorithms/coding. I was one of the winners of the All india programming contest conducted by Tower research capital, I think that worked well in my favor.
TopTalent : What would be your suggestion to other aspirants who are aiming for something similar?
Rizwan: Well, first of all practice the questions from sites that I suggested. These are some really good sites and the questions are quite challenging. It’s always good to keep solving such questions on a regular basis to be in the groove. Also, being attentive in class and revising your course work does help a lot. In particular discrete mathematics, algorithms text books are something worth looking at before going for the interview. Finally, participating in online competitions like SPOJ, Codechef etc has been extremely useful for me and I would urge others to participate in the same if you aren’t doing it already. It really helps in understanding how competitive you can be and where do you stand among some really smart people.
TopTalent : How many coding competitions have you won till date?
Rizwan: I have always participated in a number of coding competitions from college techfests, company contests to competitive programming platforms. I have mentioned most of competitions that I have participated, in my resume. Some of the competitions that I have won include All India Programming contest O(log n) – Oct 2012, MNIT Code of the Day (10 day contest) – Oct 2012 and Yahoo HackU IITK (Team contest) – Aug 2012
PS: If you think there are others who have received similar packages in India, we would be glad to interview them. Please email us the details at admin [at] toptalent [dot] in
This article is powered by TopTalent.in – A high end Job portal for students and alumni of Premier Colleges in India. Sign up now for free exclusive access to top notch jobs in India and abroad. Get in touch with them via facebook, twitter or linkedin. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
- [TopTalent.in] Interview with Sujeet Gholap, placed in Microsoft, Google, Samsung, Goldman Sachs & Tower Research
- Tower Research LLC Interview Experience | Set 1 (Telephonic Round for Internship)
- Tower Research Capital Interview Experience
- Tower Research Interview Experience | Set 2 (Software Developer)
- Samsung Research Institute Bangalore (Research Engineer)
- Microsoft Research India Interview | Set 36 (On-Campus for Internship)
- How to say no to a company that has offered me a job?
- What are the different job profiles offered to a Computer Science B.E./B.Tech graduate?
- Samsung Interview Experience | Set 3 (Samsung Research Institute, Bangalore)
- Samsung Interview Experience | Set 4 (Samsung Research Institute, Delhi)
- Samsung Interview Experience | Set 6 (For Internship at Samsung Research Institute)
- Samsung Interview Experience | Set 7 (On-Campus for Samsung Research Institute)
- Samsung Interview Experience | Set 8 (On-Campus for Samsung Research Institute, Noida)
- Samsung Interview Experience | Set 9 (On-Campus for Samsung Research Institute, Noida)
- Samsung Interview Experience | Set 10 (On-Campus for Samsung Research Institute, Noida)
- 9 Things That You Should Research Before Your Interview
- Xerox Research Interview Experience
- Samsung Bangalore Interview Experience for Research Profile
- Mercedes Benz Research Interview Experience (On-Campus)
- Centillion Research, Bangalore Interview Experience