When it comes to software development in general, all development is run by websites on the internet. Even when you aren’t actively looking for web development or a Full stack developer role, having worked on Django Projects or any web development projects will substantially improve your portfolio regardless.
This is because working and deploying a web framework tests your mettle from all aspects, from how you analyze and deal with web traffic, or protecting your website from DDoS or DoS attacks, integrating front end and back end with Django.
What is Django?
Django is a very popular Python framework used for web development using Python. As it is open source, it is free for developers to build and test web applications. It is maintained by a non-profit organization, Django Software Foundation. Django provides a high-level framework with which it is easy to build applications that are scalable without sacrificing the robust design and system.
Top 10 Django Projects For Beginners
Now that we know the importance of Django Projects, a summary along with detailed step-by-step tutorials is described in detail for those who are yet to start making Django projects in 2023.
1. Create a Form Using Django
In the digital age, in order to register for any competition, webinar, or conference, you will need to fill out forms in order to gain entry to such places. With Django, you will be capable of creating forms to do the same. You can build custom forms and customize their appearance by using Django forms. With this Django project, you can create custom signs in Windows to get user information and store them in your application.
- Freedom to customize the Django Form as you please.
- Provides user privacy and security.
- May need to implement robust security.
- May be prone to cyber-attacks if the user information is not secure.
Source Code: How to create a Form using Django
2. Django Sign Up and Log in with Confirmation E-Mail
When you sign up or sign in to any website, a confirmation email is sent to your registered email address. With that mail, you can complete the registration or log in. You can replicate this feature with Django. Django provides a robust and secure authentication system. In this project, you can learn how to implement Django’s authentication system. With this Django project, you will have an idea of how to implement authentication concepts with good cybersecurity practices in future applications.
- Learn how to secure your applications online and learn how to authenticate/ authorize users.
- Learn how to connect and secure databases; Increase the security of the application.
- Since it is asynchronous, the distribution order of data packets will be uneven, leading to possible data loss at times.
- There needs to be a robust anti-hacking system to make sure, simple user authentication can’t do much if bots are trying to sign in.
Prerequisites: Django, crispy_forms
Source Code: How to make Django Sign up and Log in with Confirmation E-Mail
3. Setup Sending Email in Django
With Django’s web framework, you can automate sending Emails. You can make it so that you can send an email when a user registers to your Django Application. Setting up email functionality in a Django web application is a common requirement, whether it’s for sending user notifications, password reset emails, or any other form of communication.
- Can send Emails to users en masse.
- This takes significantly less time.
- Users may accidentally receive this in their spam folder.
- The Email automation server must be secure, else hackers can use this for malicious intentions.
Source Code: How to Setup sending Email in Django
4. Adding Google reCAPTCHA to a Website
To protect malicious users or bots from accessing your Django website, you can implement CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart). A reCAPTCHA is a free CAPTCHA service provided by Google to protect websites against malicious traffic and hackers. With this Django project, you can implement a reCAPTCHA program on your website (hosted in Django) using Django.
- Increase the security of the application.
- Prevent bots from scraping the website and learn how to implement CAPTCHA intrusion detection systems.
- With the advent of technology and malicious users bypassing CAPTCHA with image processing, and Machine Learning models.
- CAPTCHAs may sometimes be cumbersome for people who aren’t able to see properly, hence, for those an alternative method is needed.
Source Code: How to add Google reCAPTCHA to a Website
5. Create a Real-Time Chat App
When it comes to maintaining and deploying an application in real-time, there is no better option than building a real-time chat application. To do so, you can deploy a simple HTML code for the front with a page for signing in or signing up and a chat page which will have the user’s name along with a link enabling the user to log out afterwards.
- You can build your very own custom chat model.
- Provides a lot of room for innovations and learn how to work on maintaining servers/channels in real-time.
- May become too complex to maintain/develop if the application’s scalability increases.
- Since it is asynchronous, the distribution order of data packets will be uneven, leading to possible data loss at times. Also, with the advent of technology, if proper security measures aren’t taken, the chat application may be vulnerable to cyber-attacks.
Prerequisites: Django Channel, Django Migrations, Django
Source Code: How to make Create a real-time chat app
6. Building a CMS (Content Management System)
With the framework of Django, it is easy to create web applications which are robust and dynamic. With the need for independence and technology on the rise, you can build your very own Content Management System (CMS) as a Django project using Django.
- Can follow your style and rules once you’ve built your own CMS.
- Can post blogs and content with distinct styles and customize looks and feel with minimal cost.
- Page ranking may not be good.
- Will need to strictly follow SEO rules if you want to be in Google’s top pages and need to build a robust security system to prevent fraudulent attacks, DDoS attacks and so on.
Source Code: How to Build a CMS
7. Create a Comments System
In every website, there is a need to implement a comments system to encourage interaction between users and the website designer to update features, work on existing bugs and so on. With Django, you can build your very own comments system and integrate it into your Django project application.
- Encourage P2P communication between users and create your community.
- Users can interact with the Application owner/ designer to convey any problems or any bugs in the website to be fixed.
- Can be subjected to toxicity if it is not controlled.
- Rule-breakers of the comment systems should be dealt with appropriately.
Source Code: How to Create a Comments System
8. Integrate Bokeh Visualizations
With Django’s versatility, you can integrate Graph Visualizations using a visualization library called Bokeh. You can interact with graphs made by bokeh, which will play well when you are working on a dashboard. Bokeh is a Python visualization library used to create highly interactive graphs. Similar to Plotly, developers can use it to create different visualizations with its inbuilt functions.
- Can integrate Graphs which are interactive to your Django dashboard or website.
- Visualizations can add a “fancy” aspect to your application on the web.
- May be computationally intensive if multiple graphs are used and their data changes in real-time.
- May become complex for beginners if they’ve never integrated visualizations to a web application.
Prerequisites: Django, Bokeh
Source Code: How to Integrate Bokeh Visualizations
9. Management System Dashboard
When it comes to an organisation and employee management, be it a college or an IT company, developing and maintaining a management system dashboard to record attendance, monitor work progress, assign jobs to employees and so much more. A Dashboard is important for those who are not in the technical domain in order to show all facets using visualization graphs, making it more interactive and dynamic.
- It encompasses skills considered as full-stack and learn how to add Data Visualization.
- Most of the tech stack used here is open-source, hence the dashboard can be implemented in any OS, be it Windows or MacOS.
- Execution time may be a lot due to visualizations.
- Server errors may temporarily take the dashboard down and automation of the Dashboard may be difficult.
Source Code: How to make Management System Dashboard
10. Build a ToDo Webapp
With Django, you can create web applications with various functionalities. With this, you can also build a Django project i.e. a web application which implements a to-do list which you can follow to follow a routine or schedule.
- Can customize your website look by playing with the elements.
- Can add more functionalities like sending reminders through Emails when a deadline is close.
- The website must have robust intrusion detection prevention.
- It is heavily reliant on an internet connection.
Source Code: How to Build a ToDo Webapp
By working on many types of projects, you can improve your skills in Django, and also build an impressive portfolio by working on many projects in it. One of the many reasons Django is a very popular framework is because of its ability to integrate with third-party applications. Be it an API call, or plugin, Django provides a supportive ecosystem with which integrations can be done. Be it the backend or front end, Django plays an important role, hence it is a necessary tool to learn if you plan on becoming a Python full-stack developer. Also, join the Django open-source community, start your journey with many others and help others along the way.
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!