Test Management is a process for managing the day-to-day testing activities starting from creating the test cases to execution of the tests along with capturing the test results.
Test Management tools help to manage the creation of test cases, execution of tests, storing the results for executed tests, report generation, defect tracking along with test cases execution, and import/export of tests from Excel to test management tools.
Choosing the Right Test Management Tool
- Pricing: The cost of the license should be looked at while selecting a test management tool. The price for a license could be paid per user, concurrent users, or persistent users. Not only the upfront costs of the license but also the training and implementation costs should be taken into account.
- Integration Support: Test Management tool should be well integrated with Test Automation tools and various CI/CD tools. The tool should have the capability to integrate with bug-tracking tools like Bugzilla, Mantis, etc.
- Adaptation to Different Development Processes: Across the various organizations, many teams have adopted the Agile and DevOps way of working, so the tool should be able to map with Agile, Waterfall, or a combination of both Agile and Waterfall methodology.
- Supporting Multiple Users: When multiple users access the tool for the management of test cases, one thing to look for that whether a particular test case is accessed by two users at the same time or not.
- Easy to Use and Facilitate all Stages of STLC: Is the test management tool is easy to use by various teams across different organizations and it should facilitate all stages of STLC such as maintaining test cases, log defects, linking bugs to test case runs, test execution, generate customized reports.
Need For Test Management Tool
The following are some of the reasons why test management tools are required:
- Managing and Tracking Test Activities: A test management tool is useful for managing and tracking the tests and defects found during the STLC phase.
- Test Assigning Features: The test management tool tracks details about the tests and users can assign tasks to specific people. It also tracks details such as “who ran the tests?”, “what tests were run?”, “who passed the tests?” , “what requirements have been covered?”
- Full Visibility and Traceability For Tests: Every phase of the testing lifecycle can be traced within a test management tool.
- Eliminate Complexity and Duplication: To avoid the duplication of data and to manage the complexity of testing an application from an end-end-end perspective, a test management tool is a must-have for any organization.
Advantages of Test Management Tool
- Easy to Use and Simple UI.
- Allow access to multiple users with specific permissions to different projects.
- Full visibility and traceability
- Integration to Test Automation tool and CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
- Allowing the tool mapping to Agile and Waterfall methodology.
- Monitoring the project’s overall progress and metrics
- One-stop shop for all phases of testing activities.
This article focuses on discussing the top 20 test management tools.
- SpiraTest by Inflectra
- XRay – Test Management For Jira
- Zephyr Scale
- Zephyr Squad
- QMetry Test Management
- Requirements and Test Management for Jira (RTM)
1. SpiraTest by Inflectra
SpiraTest is the most powerful end-to-end test management tool in today’s market which allows users to manage test cases, requirements, and defects with graphical reporting all in one place.
- Fully Customizable reports can help users to check the status of the tests and overall project status.
- Users can create and run all tests (manual and automation) seamlessly from one place.
- Seamless defect tracking and reporting.
- Users can link defects to test execution for better traceability.
- It allows one to integrate seamlessly with Automated testing tools such as Selenium, Integration with CI and CD tools, JIRA, and Azure DevOps tools.
- Available as SaaS/Cloud service or an on-premise solution.
TestRail is a Web-based GUI interface that allows users to create test plans, and test cases and manage test execution all in one central place. Manage and track the entire software testing process.
- Allows one to manage test suites, and past test results, and track test case history.
- Record the test execution results in a web-based interface.
- Group, Sort and Filter the results effectively.
- Archiving and Auditing options for your tests.
- Tracks the tests on mobile devices, browsers, and multiple OS
- Easily Customizable reports & Metrics for test plans and test runs.
- Seamless integration with Jira Cloud, Automation testing tools such as Ranorex, BitBucket, Frogbugz, Mantis, GitHub, and BitBucket.
- Teams to effectively collaborate on comments, and feedback.
- Personalized to-do lists and email notifications for newly assigned tests.
3. XRay – Test Management For Jira
Cloud App for Jira is available in Atlassian Marketplace which uses Jira Issue for all the testing activities.
- While Installing Xray for Jira, you get to see new issues for Test Plans, Test sets, test runs, and test execution.
- Add on a feature for requirement traceability which lets you track requirements, tests, defects, and executions.
- Seamless integration with Selenium, Cucumber, Junit, and NUnit.
- Integration of Rest API with CI/CD Pipelines.
- Advanced coverage for Requirements, Defects, tests, and execution.
- Customizable XRay reports tracking the test executions and Test sets with overall testing progress.
- Added a feature to track the work of teams using Jira Agile boards for better visibility and transparency.
4. Zephyr Scale
Best Test management tool inside Jira to manage all phases of the testing lifecycle. It is self-explanatory and easy to use.
- Allows us to configure according to the needs of a team. For example, you can add custom fields and statuses at the project level without the need for Jira Administrator.
- Set the permissions to allow certain users access to various functions within an application such as test cases, test cycles, executions, and reports.
- Group your tests into subfolders and folders based on the requirements such as Automation Tests, Smoke tests, and performance tests.
- Reuse tests across different projects, modules, and test libraries to avoid performance issues.
- Managing multiple versions of test cases at the same time allows us to compare the changes between versions.
- Jira Issue view allows you to view test executions, test cases, and results.
- Zephyr Scale reports can be filtered by epics, stories, and versions which allows you to view full test progress for a specific workspace or version.
- Scale your testing activities by integrating Cucumber BDD, CI/CD, and automation tools.
5. Zephyr Squad
Zephyr Squad is better for Agile teams to have a flexible and seamlessly integrated test management tool that works as a native Jira application. With Zephyr Squad, one can create test cases, execute tests, and view test execution reports.
- Seamless Integration with Jira.
- Easy to use look and feel makes a better choice for Agile teams.
- View test executions and results by story view.
- The Jira dashboard allows you to view test executions by test cycle and testers.
- Integrate with Automation testing tools such as Selenium and CI/CD tools such as Jenkins and Bamboo.
It is a Saas-based end-to-end test case management tool. Using this users can efficiently create and run tests, track bugs and generate reports.
- It provides the ability to import and export issues, tests, steps, and requirements.
- Gives users the choice to perform Manual, Exploratory, and Automation testing without integrating with 3rd party tools.
- Create a custom field relevant to the project which could be used with different tests ad issues.
- It supports multiple browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge, and Safari.
- Better visibility for Manual and Automation test results supported by offering multiple reporting options.
- Provides seamless integration with JIRA, Pivotal, Azure DevOps, Jenkins, GitHub, Bugzilla, and Slack.
- Seamless integration with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins and Bamboo and their API gives the flexibility to add your own custom integrations as well.
- Integration with FireCracker tool to import XML test results to PractiTest without using any API code.
TestLink is a web-based open-source test management tool that allows users to manage test cases, test suites, test projects, and user management.
- Supports both manual and automated test execution.
- Multiple users can access the functionality of the tool with their credentials and assigned roles.
- Generation of test execution reports in various formats such as Word, Excel, and HTML formats.
- Easy Import/Export of test cases.
- Seamless integration with Bugzilla, and Mantis.
- Linking of test cases with defects.
- Filter and sort test cases based on Testcase ID, and version.
QTest is a test management tool developed by QASymphony and integrated with Agile development. One can add the project requirements, create test cases, run the tests, and store test results.
- An easy user interface enables users to track testing activities.
- Integrate of QTest with Bugzilla or JIRA.
- Easy Import/Export of test cases from Excel spreadsheet.
- Customizable reports to display the data useful to you using filter and sort options on date or field.
- Track changes to test cases and requirements.
- Reuse test cases and test suites across multiple releases.
9. QMetry Test Management
The QMetry tool is one of the best test management tools. Integrated with Jira and CI/CD tools like Bamboo and Jenkins and Automation Frameworks. Its main features include requirement tracking, test case management, test execution, reporting, user management, and issue management.
- End to End test management.
- Test Execution management.
- Integration with CI/CD and Automation tools.
- Helps Agile and DevOps teams to increase the quality of the product.
It is designed to organize all the testing efforts on one platform. You can maintain test case repositories, execute test cycles, and log defects.
- Easy to use and Simple UI.
- One-stop shop for test case management and bug tracking.
- Multiple users can work on the same item and all feedback is shared in one place.
- Allows users to easily create the projects, modules, test cases, and testing cycles, Execute the test cases, log the defects, and generate reports.
- Easy import/export of test cases in various formats(Excel, Word, CSV).
TestCollab is a test management tool which helps the agile team to manage testing and supports customer user rights management, configurable test plans, custom fields, integration with JIRA.
- It provides centralized test repository for team.
- Helps to create collaborative test plans and checklists with ease.
- It provides a flexible interface thus allows to customize the workflow.
- It provides modern features like @mention comments, in-app notifications, etc.
- It supports reusability of the test suites, thus allowing to use them across multiple projects.
12. Requirements and Test Management for Jira (RTM)
It is test management application that helps to manage and track efforts within any Jira Cloid Project. This helps to systematize testing process and improve the quality of the final product.
- It provides built-in requirement management.
- It supports easy test execution.
- RTM displays the requirement, test cases, test plans, test execution, and defects are displayed as a tree.
- It provides detailed test case creation.
- It support reusability of the test plans.
XQual delivers XStudio one of the best test management tool that helps to manage releases, requirements, risks, specifications, test cases, documents, etc.
- It includes an integrated bug tracker but it also allows integration with other bug trackers with the help of connectors.
- Each release is versioned and covered by requirements, tests, etc with which bidirectional traceability is managed.
- All testing types like exploratory, automation, manual testing are supported in XStudio.
- XStudio supports nearly 90 test automation frameworks. One can also integrate with one’s own proprietary processes.
- It also allows to integrate with third-party systems.
- XStudio is delivered as a service in the cloud but one can also install it on the system if needed.
Tusk is a test management tool that iis easy on pocket, provides 30-day free trial and generous free plan.
- It has WYSIWYG editor that supports rich-text formatting.
- It allows to easily conduct test runs including all the test cases in a project, specific ones, or the ones that are matching a complex filter.
- It helps to optimize resources by encouraging transparency.
- It supports visual monitoring of the progress through burndown charts, dashborads, activity stream, etc.
- It supports dark theme mode to help reduce eye strain and fatigue.
15. TestFLO for JIRA
TestFlo is a paid add-on for Jira that is used to write test cases. This helps to manage test cases in Jira.
- It helps to create test flow and manage it smoothly.
- It enables large scale software testing in Jira.
- It supports full traceability fromrequirements through test cases to bugs.
- It is best suited for large-scale enterprises, highly regulated industires, requirements testing, agile and DevOps testing.
- It supports test repository with a tree folder structure for reusable templates.
- It supports importing tests from CSV and TestLink.
- It provides support for Cucumber, JUnit, TestNG.
Qase is a test management software that helps to deliver quality products to customers and provides a single workspace for manual and automateed tests.
- It supports organizing test cases into logical groups called Test Suites.
- The smart wizard guides through creating test plans, and helps to check every test case at once.
- It supports 1-click integrations with major issue trackers.
- It helps to create tasks and submit reports directly from the workspace.
Testiny is a fast growing web application that is built-on latest technologies and aims to make manual testing and QA management as seemless as possible. It is designed to be extremely easy to use and helps testers to perform tests without adding overhead to the testing process.
- It is beneficial for small to mid-size QA teams that are looking to integrate manual and automated testing into development process.
- it is free for open-source projects and small teams with up to 3 persons.
- It helps in easy creation of test cases, test runs, etc.
- It helps to organize tests in a tree structure.
Testpad is a test plan tool that helps to find the bugs and simple to use.
- No training is required to use this tool.
- It provides secure hosting, secure communication, and reliable data.
- It also provides facility to invite guest testers when accounts are not required.
- This tool is tablet and mobile friendly.
JunoOne is the test management tool that is designed to streamline test management and incident management. It offers a number of tools that makes all the testing activities well arranged, helps to organize work, and control the overall state of the projects.
- It protects data and solves issues.
- It supports performing test analysis and campaign creation.
Panaya is a smart test management tool for ERP and enterprise cloud applications that reduces the test cyle by 85% and accelaerates digital transformation with zero risk.
- The recorder captures users’ interactions and screenshots for audit-ready test documentation and compliance.
- It helps to optimize the test cycle by 85%, by pinpointing the impacted business scenarios and suggested what to test and what not to test.
- It supports tracking and sharing test progress metrics and charts with user-friendly customized dashboards and widgets.
- It helps elimate risks and uncertainity with AI-powered change analysis to know exactly what to test for and what not to test for.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Please Login to comment...