Top 10 Programming Languages to Learn in 2023
Having complete knowledge of at least one programming language is a boon to every upcoming developer who’s entering the world of technology. Improve your coding and problem-solving skills and become a software developer. Software developers have a lucrative career and hence, they’re the most demanding ones. As per the survey, programming jobs are expected to rise by 21% by the year 2028. Wikipedia claims that there are around 700 programming languages. So deciding which language to learn among the most popular programming language is quite confusing.
Every year, new programming languages are added to the list, and hence, the confusion increases. Hence, to come up with a solution where you can choose the best programming language among hundreds, we have articulated this article keeping several factors in demand. The factors may be career perception, future demands, business requirements, and features of different programming languages. Without much ado, let’s get started:
What is a Programming Language?
A programming language is a language that computers understand and is used to build software programs, and scripts. It is also referred to as a set of instructions (syntax) written by programmers that computers use to build applications. Every language share similarity, having its own syntax.
You need to have a strong command over any one programming language while having a basic idea of the most popular programming languages is appreciated. The count in the list of programming languages increases day by day.
Types of Programming Languages:
- Procedural programming language
- Functional programming language
- Object-oriented programming language
- Scripting programming language
- Logic programming language
Best Programming Languages to Learn in 2023
- It has a well-organized codebase that provides enhanced productivity and readability
- Platform independence and greater control of the browser
- Provide user input validation features
Python can be regarded as the future of programming languages. As per the latest statistics, Python is the main coding language for around 80% of developers. The presence of extensive libraries in Python facilitates artificial intelligence, data science, and machine learning processes. Currently, Python is trending and can be regarded as the king of programming languages. Hence, learning this programming language in 2023 promises you success and growth, offering amazing features like:
- Easy to learn and code
- Extensive libraries and frameworks that support a plethora of applications
- Incorporated the variants of Java and C like CPython, Jython, etc.
- GUI support
- Companies working on Python: Intel, Facebook, Spotify, Netflix, etc.
Average Annual Salary of Python Developer – $120,000
Java is one of the most powerful programming languages that is currently used in more than 3 billion devices. Java is currently one of the most trending technologies being used in desktop applications, mobile applications, web development, Artificial intelligence, cloud applications, and many more. So learning and acing in this technology offers insanely high salaries, amazing growth opportunities, and global recognition. So Java can be regarded as one of the topmost programming languages to learn in 2023. Some of the prominent features of Java are:
- Platform independence and Object-oriented programming
- Enhanced productivity, performance, and security
- It is the most secure language
- Companies working on Java are Amazon, Adobe, Flipkart, Instagram, etc.
Average Annual Salary of Java Developer – $104,000
- Allows you to specify the data type that is passed around within the code, and it can report errors if the types don’t match
- Interfaces, type aliases, abstract classes, function overloading, tuples, generics, and so on
Average Annual Salary of TypeScript Developer – $130,929
C, “mother of all programming languages” is a general-purpose programming language that is designed to work efficiently on games, graphics, and enterprise applications. The long-established programming language has made significant contributions to the creation of new languages, compilers, databases, and one of the most well-liked operating systems, Microsoft Windows. Many developers today skip C entirely, while others believe that learning C first provides a solid foundation for C++ development. They are utilized when developing apps where performance is crucial, such as client/server software, and complex commercial solutions. Both offer amazing features like:
- C/C++ is used to write almost all low-level systems such as file systems, operating systems, and so on.
- Because it is extremely fast and stable, C++ is also widely used by competitive programmers. It serves as the foundation for understanding more complex programming languages
- Presence of inbuilt functions and operators and being extendable
- Companies working on C/C++ are Adobe, Google apps, MySQL Server, Microsoft, Apple, and more.
Average Annual Salary of C/C++ Developer – $97,000
C# is a programming language that runs on the .NET framework and is developed by Microsoft in 2000. It is effective in making desktop applications and games. As per the survey, 34% of the top mobile games are made using C#. It is a well-designed language and is highly in demand globally. So mastering C# is an amazing career option that you can make in 2023. Some of the most advantageous features of C# are:
- Simple to learn and understand
- It is fully integrated with .NET libraries
- The top companies working on C# are Microsoft, Stack Overflow, Accenture, and Alibaba Travels
Average Annual Salary of C# Developer – $97,000
PHP is one of the general-purpose scripting languages that will continue to hold its importance in the upcoming years. It is among the first server-side language that can be embedded with HTML to add functionality to web pages. Due to the increasing online trend, PHP developers are in high demand. Some of the astonishing features are:
- Simple and easy to learn
- Faster than other scripting languages
- Highly secure to prevent threats and attacks
- Amazing websites like Facebook, Yahoo, and Wikipedia run on PHP
Average Annual Salary of PHP Developer – $81,000
Kotlin is a cross-platform programming language designed to develop apps. It is being used by more than 60% of android developers. Kotlin beholds fourth place among the fastest-growing programming language on several renowned indices. So if you are willing to build your career in android app development then learning Kotlin in 2023 is the best choice that you can make. Some of the prominent features of Kotlin are:
- Concise code and structured concurrency
- Enhanced security features
- Coding is approximately 20% less as compared to Java
- It is 100% interoperable
- Companies working on Kotlin are Pinterest, Uber, Trello, Amazon, etc.
Average Annual Salary of Kotlin Developer – $130,000
It is a robust programming language developed by Apple Inc. It is used to create apps for iOS, watchOS, macOS, and many more. It can be seen as the future of high-performance and secured applications. So sooner it will reach the top level of programming languages. It offers some amazing features like:
- Easy to understand and maintain
- Speeds development process
- Enhanced performance
- Supports dynamic libraries
- Companies working on Swift are Apple, Instagram, Uber, and Slack
Average Annual Salary of Swift Developer – $93,000
Go or Golang is one of the most reliable and efficient programming languages that stands out from the rest. It was originally designed by Google in 2007 to manage its rapidly growing infrastructure. It quickly gained amazing popularity and has become one of the top programming languages. Some of the amazing features of Go are:
- Simple to learn and understand
- Supports automation processes
- It facilitates AI and data science processes
- Companies working on Go are Google, BBC, Medium, and Uber
Go is the future of programming language so you can surely think about learning this in 2023.
Average Annual Salary of Golang Developer – $93,000
R is a programming language for statistical and graphical programming. It is widely used among statisticians and data miners for data analysis. It holds profound importance in data analysis, financial domains, and telecom sectors. There is a huge shortage of people with expertise in R so learning this language can be a bright career choice.
- It has extended libraries for interactive graphics.
- Object-oriented programming language.
- Supports cross-platform operation.
- Highly extensible.
- The top companies using R are Flipkart, Amazon, Google, and LinkedIn.
Average Annual Salary of R Developer –$93,000
Hence, these were the programming languages that you can choose accordingly and learn at your convenience. Every programming language works best in its respective domains. Therefore, on the basis of your requirement as to which profession you prefer to go for, you can choose the best programming language. Work on improving your problem-solving skills and you’re all set to learn a programming language. All these languages mentioned above are among the best and also provide amazing career options, so go ahead and choose the best.
Q1. Which is the best programming language to learn?
Ans. Before choosing a programming language, you must know which domain interests you. According to that, acquire the skills and then opt for one among some of the most popular programming languages. In the programming languages list, you should have a good command over any one programming language.
Q2. What are the top 5 programming languages?
Ans. The top 5 programming languages are:
Q3. Which is better C++ or Python?
Ans. According to several reports, Python is considered the future of the programming language. Again, it depends on which domain you want to move into in your future career. Python is considered the best programming language for building data science/machine learning applications whereas C++ is used to build embedded systems.
Q4. Which programming language is best for getting a job?
Ans. When we talk about getting the highest-paying job, it depends on which type of job you want.
- If you’re looking for data science, Python is considered the best language
- If you’re considering game application development, Java and Kotlin is the best language.
Therefore, to conclude, you have to decide the domain you want to opt for before choosing the best programming language.
- Master Java Programming – Complete Beginner to Advanced
- Master C++ Programming – Complete Beginner to Advanced
You may also look out for the Top Programming Languages For Competitive Programming
Please Login to comment...