Web Application Framework or simply “web framework” is a software framework that is designed to support the development of web applications including web services, web resources, and web APIs. Frameworks are, in short, libraries that help you develop your application faster and smarter!
Nowadays, the number of Web Frameworks has increased greatly. To help you pick up the most suitable one for your Web Application, we have compiled a list of 10 best frameworks available online, in your preferred language.
1. Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails is an extremely productive web application framework written by David Heinemeier Hansson. One can develop an application at least ten times faster with Rails than a typical Java framework. Moreover, Rails includes everything needed to create a database-driven web application, using the Model-View-Controller pattern.
- Language: Ruby
- Latest Version: Rails 5.0.0.beta2
- Framework Link: http://rubyonrails.org
- Github Link: https://github.com/rails/rails
Websites using Ruby on Rails are GroupOn, UrbanDictionary, AirBnb, Shopify, Github
Django is another framework that helps in building quality web applications. It was invented to meet fast-moving newsroom deadlines while satisfying the tough requirements of experienced Web developers. Django developers say the applications are it’s ridiculously fast, secure, scalable, and versatile.
- Language: Python
- Latest Version: Django 1.9.2
- Framework Link: https://www.djangoproject.com
- Github Link: https://github.com/django/django
Websites using Django are Disqus, Pinterest, Instagram, Quora, etc.
Angular is a framework by Google (originally developed by Misko Hevery and Adam Abrons) which helps us in building powerful Web Apps. It is a framework to build large scale and high-performance web applications while keeping them as easy-to-maintain. There are a huge number of web apps that are built with Angular.
- Latest Version: Angular 7.1.5
- Framework Link: https://angular.io/
- Github Link: https://github.com/angular/angular
Websites using Angular are Youtube on PS3, Weather, Netflix, etc.
ASP.NET is a framework developed by Microsoft, which helps us to build robust web applications for PC, as well as mobile devices. It is a high performance and lightweight framework for building Web Applications using .NET. All in all, a framework with Power, Productivity, and Speed.
Websites using ASP.NET are GettyImages, TacoBell, StackOverflow, etc.
Meteor or MeteorJS is another framework that gives one a radically simpler way to build realtime mobile and web apps. It allows for rapid prototyping and produces cross-platform (Web, Android, iOS) code. Its cloud platform, Galaxy, greatly simplifies deployment, scaling, and monitoring.
- Latest Version: Meteor 1.2.1
- Framework Link: https://www.meteor.com/
- Github Link: https://github.com/meteor/meteor
Websites using Meteor are HaggleMate, WishPool, Telescope, etc.
Laravel is a framework created by Taylor Otwell in 2011 and like all other modern frameworks, it also follows the MVC architectural pattern. Laravel values Elegance, Simplicity, and Readability. One can right away start learning and developing Laravel with Laracasts which has hundreds of tutorials in it.
- Language: PHP
- Latest Version: Laravel 5.2
- Framework Link: https://laravel.com/
- Github Link: https://github.com/laravel/laravel
Websites using Laravel are Deltanet Travel, Neighbourhood Lender, etc.
Express or Expressjs is a minimal and flexible framework that provides a robust set of features for web and mobile applications. It is relatively minimal meaning many features are available as plugins. Express facilitates the rapid development of Node.js based Web applications. Express is also one major component of the MEAN software bundle.
- Framework Link: http://expressjs.com/
- Github Link: https://github.com/strongloop/express
Websites using Express are Storify, Myspace, LearnBoost, etc.
Spring, developed by Pivotal Software, is the most popular application development framework for enterprise Java. Myriads of developers around the globe use Spring to create high performance and robust Web apps. Spring helps in creating simple, portable, fast, and flexible JVM-based systems and applications.
- Language: Java
- Latest Version: Spring 4.3.0
- Framework Link: http://projects.spring.io/spring-framework/
- Github Link: https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework
Websites using spring are Mascus, Allocine, etc.
Play is one of the modern web application framework written in Java and Scala. It follows the MVC architecture and aims to optimize developer productivity by using convention over configuration, hot code reloading, and display of errors in the browser. Play quotes itself as “The High-Velocity Web Framework”.
- Language: Scala and Java
- Latest Version: Play 2.4.6
- Framework Link: https://www.playframework.com/
- Github Link: https://github.com/playframework/playframework
Websites using PLAY are LinkedIn, Coursera, LendUp, etc.
CodeIgniter, developed by EllisLab, is a famous web application framework to build dynamic websites. It is loosely based on MVC architecture since Controller classes are necessary but models and views are optional. CodeIgnitor promises with exceptional performance, nearly zero-configuration, and no large-scale monolithic libraries.
- Language: PHP
- Latest Version: CodeIgnitor 3.0.4
- Framework Link: https://codeigniter.com/
- Github Link: https://github.com/EllisLab/CodeIgniter
Article By: Harshit Gupta
Kolkata based Harshit Gupta is an active blogger having a keen interest in writing about current affairs, technical Blogs, stories, and personal life experiences. Besides passionate about writing, he also loves coding and dancing. Currently studying at IIEST, he is an active blog contributor at GeeksforGeeks.
- Top Android Development Frameworks to Learn in 2019
- Top 10 Machine Learning Frameworks in 2020
- Top 5 Open Source Java Frameworks in 2020
- Top 10 Mobile Application Development Frameworks in 2020
- Top 5 Golang Frameworks in 2020
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- Core Defences Mechanism in Web Applications
- Top Machine Learning Applications in 2019
- 6 Best CSS frameworks You should Know to design Attractive Websites
- 10 Best CSS Frameworks For Frontend Developers in 2020
- 8 Useful Testing Tools, Libraries and Frameworks For React Developers
- Deep web, Dark web and DarkNet
- Difference between Web Browser and Web Server
- How to choose Web Hosting Server and Web Domain ?
- Progressive Web App - A Combination of Native and Web App
- 10 Web Development and Web Design Facts That You Should Know
- Top 10 Tools That Every Web Developer Must Try Once