So it’s time for you to go to college and your dream of studying computer science and engineering is finally getting closer. Computer scientists are the people that will play major part in the upcoming age of human advancement. They are the ones who solve the problems by writing plenty of lines of codes, use their creativity and develop apps, software and also the web pages which we see every day in our digital devices.
But the world is competitive out there; the companies are looking for the people who have a versatile set of skills. The upcoming engineers need to saturate themselves from the usual computer techies to the real computer technocrats. Computer science is a field that requires dedication and lots of passion. Here are some things that I think I should have known before coming to college. I think these 5 points will be helping every computer science fresher a lot.
1. It’s not necessary for you to have a computer science background from your school.
Such kind of uncertainty has been observed among lots of freshers that they cannot perform like those guys who have CS background from their schools. I want you guys to know that it’s merely a rumor. It all depends on how much and how often you practice your skills rather than having a past experience. There are plenty of friends of mine who are performing extraordinarily inspite of not having computer science in their school. If you are ready to learn new things and have interest in them, nothing can stop you from mastering them.
2. Problem solving skill is preferred over number of programming language you know
If you think that learning numerous of program languages will lead you to the ultimate mastery of computer programming than let me be very frank, you are terribly wrong here. A good computer programmer is the one who understands the problem carefully and then tries to solve it step by step, with proper dedication and patience, and then codes it in a particular language. Problem solving attitude is very important to study computer science. If you are good in solving problems and you have mastery in one language only, then you can be hired by any of the top IT companies anywhere in the world. The one with an extraordinary problem solving skills will always be in demand.
3. Attitude toward learning new things always comes first
A computer technocrat is the one who keeps on learning throughout his life. Therefore, one must not give up his learning attitude. As we all know the technology is advancing at a very high rate and new things keep on coming every time. So, from time to time you will have to keep on updating yourself with the new things. You always need to be ready to learn new technologies that are in demand and familiarize yourself with them.
4. Never hesitate to use your creativity
It has been observed that most people do not think of the word “creative” when they hear computer science. However, being a computer science student let me tell you that I enjoy computer science not just because it has math, coding, algorithm or data structure but also because I can use my creativity while developing my own apps, and web pages both at frontend and backend. Moreover, the projects that we do in college can be made unique by applying our creativity. And that’s how computer science can be a fun.
5. You don’t have to be genius to write a code
This myth is one of the myths that suppress the skill of coding of a lot of freshmen students. Programming is not an exceptional skill, it isn’t meant for geniuses. Writing codes is fun. It’s just like removing the bricks from a dark room, one by one and at the end what you find is light! As the Bill Gates said,”Everyone in this world should learn how to write code, because it teaches us how to think.”
Anyone can be a master in coding, what it takes to succeed has a lot more to do with creativity, common sense, dedication and hard work than it does with raw brain power.
- Important Topics for GATE 2020 Computer Science
- Types of Server Virtualization in Computer Network
- What happens when we call a Function
- Remove the first and last occurrence of a given Character from a String
- Tips for testing code in Compeititive programming
- Important functions of STL Components in C++
- Shortest path in a complement graph
- Count number of Unique Triangles using Operator overloading
- Sorting algorithm visualization : Insertion Sort
- Fast Doubling method to find the Nth Fibonacci number
- Count number of ways to convert string S to T by performing K cyclic shifts
- Find the next greater element in a Circular Array
- Unique subsequences of length K with given sum
- Kth smallest or largest element in unsorted Array | Set 4
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.