Tableau – Connect to a data source
Visualisation in Tableau starts with connecting to an outside data source. This article explains how to connect Tableau to any external data source.
Steps to follow –
- Run Tableau. On the left side of the start screen, there is a Connect Panel.
- Go to the File Section and choose the type of data file you want. Let’s choose any excel file.
- On clicking the Microsoft Excel option, a dialogue box will appear for the user to choose the required data file. As shown below I have chosen a data – ‘Coral data.xlsx’
- Now, Tableau will create connection to the data file and as you can see we have our data at the bottom.
- If you are connecting to a Microsoft file then it is straight forward but if you are connecting to a Microsoft SQL server then there is a possibility that it might need some credentials like username, password e.t.c
- After connecting to the data file, the user can go the Worksheet.
- Then finally you can work on the data visualisation after wrangling your data.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level CourseMy Personal Notes arrow_drop_up