Tableau – Connect to a data source
Visualisation in Tableau starts with connecting to an outside data source. This article explains how to connect Tableau to any external data source.
Steps to follow –
- Run Tableau. On the left side of the start screen, there is a Connect Panel.
- Go to the File Section and choose the type of data file you want. Let’s choose any excel file.
- On clicking the Microsoft Excel option, a dialogue box will appear for the user to choose the required data file. As shown below I have chosen a data – ‘Coral data.xlsx’
- Now, Tableau will create connection to the data file and as you can see we have our data at the bottom.
- If you are connecting to a Microsoft file then it is straight forward but if you are connecting to a Microsoft SQL server then there is a possibility that it might need some credentials like username, password e.t.c
- After connecting to the data file, the user can go the Worksheet.
- Then finally you can work on the data visualisation after wrangling your data.
My Personal Notes arrow_drop_up
Please Login to comment...