System Programming can be defined as act of building Systems Software using System Programming Languages. According to Computer Hierarchy, one which comes at last is Hardware. Then it is Operating System, System Programs, and finally Application Programs. Program Development and Execution can be done conveniently in System Programs. Some of System Programs are simply user interfaces, others are complex. It traditionally lies between user interface and system calls.
So here, user can only view up-to-the System Programs he can’t see System Calls.
System Programs can be divided into these categories :
- File Management –
A file is a collection of specific information stored in memory of computer system. File management is defined as process of manipulating files in computer system, it management includes process of creating, modifying and deleting files.
- It helps to create new files in computer system and placing them at specific locations.
- It helps in easily and quickly locating these files in computer system.
- It makes process of sharing of files among different users very easy and user friendly.
- It helps to stores files in separate folders known as directories.
- These directories help users to search file quickly or to manage files according to their types or uses.
- It helps user to modify data of files or to modify he name of file in directories.
- Status Information –
Information like date, time amount of available memory, or disk space is asked by some of users. Others providing detailed performance, logging and debugging information which is more complex. All this information is formatted and displayed on output devices or printed. Terminal or other output devices or files or a window of GUI is used for showing output of programs.
- File Modification –
For modifying contents of files we use this. For Files stored on disks or other storage devices we used different types of editors. For searching contents of files or perform transformations of files we use special commands.
- Programming-Language support –
For common programming languages we use Compilers, Assemblers, Debuggers and interpreters which are already provided to user. It provides all support to users. We can run any programming languages. All languages of importance are already provided.
- Program Loading and Execution –
When program is ready after Assembling and compilation, it must be loaded into memory for execution. A loader is part of an operating system that is responsible for loading programs and libraries. It is one of essential stages for starting a program. Loaders, relocatable loaders, linkage editors and Overlay loaders are provided by system.
- Communications –
Virtual connections among processes, users and computer systems are provided by programs. User can send messages to other user on their screen, User can send e-mail, browsing on web pages, remote login, transformation of files from one user to another.
Some examples of system programs in O.S. are –
- Windows 10
- Mac OS X
- Disk formatting
- Computer language translators
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- System Protection in Operating System
- User View Vs Hardware View Vs System View of Operating System
- File System Implementation in Operating System
- Xv6 Operating System -adding a new system call
- Traps and System Calls in Operating System (OS)
- Process Schedulers in Operating System
- Introduction of Deadlock in Operating System
- Thread in Operating System
- Paging in Operating System
- Banker's Algorithm in Operating System
- Segmentation in Operating System
- File Systems in Operating System
- Virtual Memory in Operating System
- Real Time Operating System (RTOS)
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC) in Operating System
- Lottery Process Scheduling in Operating System
- Resource Allocation Graph (RAG) in Operating System
- Page Fault Handling in Operating System
- Multiple-Processor Scheduling in Operating System
- Banker's Algorithm in Operating System
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.