Synchronous Series Carry Counter is such a synchronous counter where inputs of flip-flops are connected in such a manner that only those flip-flops that are toggle on a given clock will have input value as the logic 1. The advantage of this counter is that it reduces the decoding error.
Block Diagram of Synchronous Series Carry Counter:
Here is the block diagram of a 4-bit (MOD-16) series carry counter.
In the above counter:
- A toggles for every CLK pulse is applied.
- B toggles when A = 1 and CLK pulse is applied.
- C toggles when B = 1 and A = 1 and CLK pulse is applied.
- D toggles when C = B = A = 1 and CLK pulse is applied.
Truth Table for Series Carry Counter:
In order to get the synchronous down counter, complemented output (A’, B’ etc.) of each stage is connected to the input of the next stage.
Total Time Delay :
The total delay for synchronous series carry counter is:
T >= t(pd) + (n-2) x t(pd of AND gate)
As the number of bit increases, the propagation delay of flip-flops and the propagation delay of AND gate also increases, this will increase the total delay of the circuit.
Advantage of Series Carry Counter:
Most important advantage of the series carry counter is that it reduces the decoding error.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Differences between Synchronous and Asynchronous Counter
- Difference between Straight Ring Counter and Twisted Ring Counter
- Difference between Synchronous and Asynchronous Sequential Circuits
- Synchronous Sequential Circuits in Digital Logic
- Carry Look-Ahead Adder
- Self Starting Counter
- Design counter for given sequence
- Free Running Counter
- Mod 2 Ring Counter (with D flip-flop)
- n-bit Johnson Counter in Digital Logic
- Ripple Counter in Digital Logic
- Amortized analysis for increment in counter
- Ring Counter in Digital Logic
- Non-binary Counter in Digital Logic
- Mod 6 Johnson Counter (with D flip-flop)
- Mathematics | Sequence, Series and Summations
- Importance of Sudo GATE CS Test Series
- Signal Processing and Time Series (Data Analysis)
- GATE CSE Test Series - 2019 | Sudo GATE